One Mischievous Brother | Teen Ink

One Mischievous Brother

By gabbyrhoffman GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
gabbyrhoffman GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

He is the only one who irritates me. I am the only one who irritates him. One Mischievous Brother with glowing skin and a loving heart like mine. One brother when there are millions of others in the world.  One annoying brother birthed by my mom to love me. In our house, we argue and bicker, but my Mom tells me I love him and will miss him one day.

His disease is a secret. He avoids gluten just to feel well. He grew up and did not know he had Celiac and yet he does not let the nasty, cold hearted disease slow him down or stop him. That's just the way he is. 

I won't forget our memories we created, each one intertwined like vines in a garden, with laughter and love blooming between us. Remember, Remember, Remember everyone says when I leave. They heal.

When I am too sad and too mischievous to remember remembering, when I am a moth waiting to be a butterfly, then I want my brother. When there is no one left to talk to at this college.  One who grew closer to her brother. One who remembers and doesn't forget to love. One whose only reason is to love and love.