name | Teen Ink

name

My name means lively. My name is short and sweet. My name is Ava. Three letters long, basic, but yet so important to who I am. The meaning of my name feels to match so well, always active and bringing energy. My closest family and friends call me Ava Mae which is my favorite. It makes me feel separate from all the other Avas. 

Growing up, there was at least one other Ava in my class, we would be called by our first name and last initial. Ava H. For a while that made me hate my name, I wanted to be different, only having to go by my first name. It made me want to change my name to something unique, longer, harder to spell, but then I wouldn't be me I would be a fraud.

Over time I have learned to love my name, even though it is a very common name it still feels special to me. It is short and sweet. No one ever says it wrong or makes me spell it out for them. My name is so special, it feels as if it was picked perfectly for me. 

Another part of my name that I love is my middle name Mae, the same as my grandma. Meaning pearl or spring is also very fitting being my favorite season. Spring is when all the flowers start to bloom, the weather gets warmer, and school is almost out.