Listen to Me | Teen Ink

Listen to Me

By dreamer112 GOLD, Burnsville, Minnesota
dreamer112 GOLD, Burnsville, Minnesota

Must I live up to your standards of me? Can I not be the me that I want to be? Do I have to change for you to accept me? So I'm not social. Big deal. Does it matter? It's not like I want to be shy. I'm smart. I do well. I'm going to college. Fewer friends means time for school, or to be by myself. Is that really such a bad thing? I am liked. I have friends. I just don't obsess. You should be glad you're not spending $350 a month on texts. I ask what's important. Isn't that enough? What do you want from me? I can't change overnight. Your quick-fix solutions don't work. I'm trying. But don't expect miracles, okay?You should be happy I'm not like other girls. I don't drop big $$ at Abercrombie or Hollister. You don't have to stop me and say, "You're not wearing that!" I don't live on my cell phone. I don't tune you out with an iPod. I don't drive you crazy, going out late. I don't go to Starbucks. I don't invite friends over all the time. I'm much more low-matinence when I'm not like other girls. (which is pretty much all the time) I don't gossip. I can keep a secret. I know who my friends are. Isn't that something you can ask of me? But you never do. It's always, "Syd, why are you so shy?" I have friends. I have a life. Isn't that enough for you to ask?

I hope that someone out there can identify with this.

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

I could really relate to this, it's like you're a mind reader, this describes me PERFECTLY.  Really, it does, I wrote a nonfiction piece somewhat similar to this.

dreamer112 GOLD, Burnsville, Minnesota
Thanks, that means a lot to me. :)

_Mags_ SILVER said...
_Mags_ SILVER, Somewhere, North Carolina

- I stare danger in the face and giggle
- Never argue with an idiot, people might not know the difference
-R.A.P (Retards Attempting Poetry)
-Tip Cologne ryhmes with alone

i love this, i can relate to this so much. I even laughed cause it is what i have to face everyday, and being shy is not a bad thing. You are what you are, no one can change that and if they try to you'll still be the same

HeatherBee BRONZE, I Live In, Texas

Go on and try to tear me down. I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

good voice:] twas a very nicce piece