Guilt, Shame, and Overwhelming Gratitude | Teen Ink

Guilt, Shame, and Overwhelming Gratitude

August 22, 2022
By tguzman24 SILVER, Northwest Washington, District Of Columbia
tguzman24 SILVER, Northwest Washington, District Of Columbia
9 articles 2 photos 0 comments

I am sitting in bed with my laptop open and I am holding back tears as I attempt to “recover” in zoom therapy. Our session only started six minutes ago, but it feels like an eternity. I’m here because I did this to myself. One too many runs, one too many unrealistic expectations, one too many minutes spent aimlessly scrolling Instagram and I have unconsciously internalized the not-so-subtle message about beautiful perfection. Now, I’m lost. Stuck in my own head, in a cycle of guilt and shame that pushes all sense of comfort or security away. Clutching at the straws of power, but they are falling through my fingers. Hitting the ground until I am left with just one: food. That is why I am here. My therapist is teaching me how to bend down and carefully pick up each straw. One by one. A painfully slow, painful process. Luckily, she nor my family have left me alone. Surrounded by love, lengthy hugs, and honest encouragement that do not numb the pain but rather, make it bearable.

                                                                             Heart so heavy it hurts

                                                                             thank you for coming to save me

                                                                             alone was too hard


The author's comments:

TW: eating disorder, mental health

This piece is about my recovery process from anorexia. Having an eating disorder has caused me to feel a confusing mix of self-directed anger and general shame. I often feel discouraged by the difficulty of overcoming both the physical and mental hurdles I have built for myself. However, my family has shown me immense compassion and love. They push me to persevere and are pillars of support even when I don't deserve it.