Opinion on Concussions and Football | Teen Ink

Opinion on Concussions and Football

By JCooney24 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
JCooney24 BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Football, “America’s sport” is a very important part of the world around us and has a large impact on many people's lives. Football may be very entertaining but it is a very dangerous sport as well. It is one of the leading sports that causes concussions. A concussion is when your brain bounces around in your head after it has taken a damaging hit. With the amount of head injuries and contact in football it seems concussions are regular around the league. Football leagues, ranging from youth to the NFL are doing a lot to help prevent these head injuries from occurring .

Playing football myself and accumulating a couple of concussions during my life I can see that they build up to a large amount they could change the chemistry of your brain and develop something called CTE. CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) is a disease which occurs when there is a large amount of trauma to the brain. This changes the brain making you more aggressive, mood swings, and could lead to depression. In the NFL CTE was developed by most of the players who played back in the day. There are multiple cases of sucide from football players because of depression caused by their head trauma and CTE. 

Concussions are a very sensitive topic especially in the football world because the amount of deaths and suicides CTE has caused. Players such as Ray Easterling, Junior Seau, and Aaron Hernandez have dealt with these issues. They developed CTE due to an abundance of concussions and this caused them to go crazy, Aaron hernandez killing a person, Junior Seau and Ray Easterling both committing suicide. These injuries and issues with concussions show the damage a hit to the brain can really cause on a person's life and how this injury needs to be taken more seriously in the health, as well as sports industries. 

Concussions are a serious topic and I believe that we need to take bigger leaps towards coming to a solution. If we don't come up with a major solution to this soon this will not be good for the future of football as well as the players mental health.

Football is a large part of the world we live in and I wanted to dive deeper into the world of players health and safety.