Small steps to your future self | Teen Ink

Small steps to your future self

October 5, 2021
By Tansholpan BRONZE, Aktobe, Other
Tansholpan BRONZE, Aktobe, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Small steps to your future self

I believe that every person on this planet has his or her own mission to complete in this life and we have to work hard for them. So, does it mean that we can focus only on studying well and accomplishing our main goals without getting stressed about extracurriculars?

When I was 6 years old, my mom used to take me to the gymnastics courses in our town and, of course, as a usual kid, who is scared of being left alone among strangers without parents, I used every single method to stay at home. I tried crying all my eyes out on purpose, locking myself in the toilet, pretending to be sick, or just nagging about my sleepiness, tons of homework, or tiredness. Everything was in vain against my mom’s desire to make me nimbler. But thanks to that my life as a gymnast lasted for almost 6 years!

Everything started with small performances on public holidays. They discovered my sport potentials, so with the decision of my coach I joined a more experienced group of gymnasts. And starting with mini-concerts in our town I ended up participating in different republican and international talent contests, and winning first and second places.

But then, suddenly, I went down in flames. Certain circumstances forced me to leave the club. Frankly, after that period of my school life, I was a lost kid, who was afraid of trying something new and looking for adventures, thinking of new challenges as “not so needed for my future” and becoming more and more lost in my climate of fears

These completely different experiences have left a big mark on my life. Looking at my excellent PE results, ability to easily memorize and do various kinds of dance moves, healthy body structure, endurance, and other benefits, I am unimaginably thankful for my mother for making me do gymnastics. And the thing that made me appreciate this much more was a dark period in my school life. By comparing these two versions of me, I have noticed that the less I was busy with extracurriculars, the more I was becoming shy, anxious, stressed and unconfident. Therefore, from this year I decided to join a volleyball club and start a new chapter in my life.

Looking back, I do realise that extracurriculars are a crucial part of everyone’s school life. There must be at least one thing that brings students to school not only for studying but also for learning new skills, getting involved in new hobbies and living a colorful, active life, leaving a good impression about their school period. That’s why I wish that every student had an after-school activity and was happy about their young school ages.