Daisy | Teen Ink

Daisy

By Vuong Diep BRONZE, Worcester, Massachusetts
Vuong Diep BRONZE, Worcester, Massachusetts

In the novel, The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Jay Gatsby, the pursuing wealthy man, was manipulated by the love of his life, Daisy Buchanan, who is the green light to his mind and success. As Gatsby travels closer to the green light, Daisy fades away into Tom’s love knocking him into reality. The reality life that was cover by the beauty of Daisy, and therefore Daisy is symbolizes as a flower that only grows when she’s with Gatsby and hides behind the money that Tom provided for her.

When Daisy is with Gatsby, her love for Tom was nothing “ Compared to the great distance that had separated him [Gatsby] from Daisy it had seemed very near to her, almost touching her. It has seemed as close as a star to the moon”(98). But when Daisy’s with Tom, “ they weren’t happy, and neither of them had touched the chicken of the ale- and yet they weren’t unhappy either. There was an unremarkable air of natural intimacy about the picture and anybody would have said that they were conspiring together”(153).
This shows that Daisy is lying to herself when she is surrounded by the love and wealth Tom gives her because like a flower, when they don’t show there owner that they are surrounded in a hot environment, there just hurting itself by letting the sun draining its beauty away. So like Daisy, when she doesn’t show any emotions towards Tom, Tom will always take advantage Daisy, by cheating on her with myrtle for example. However, on the other hand, this also shows that Daisy is growing into herself when she’s with Gatsby because Gatsby gives her the attention of love that Tom never give to her when he show her comfort in his environment. Since “His bedroom was the simplest room of all [and] with enchanting murmurs Daisy admired this aspect or that of the feudal silhouette against the sky, admired the gardens, the sparkling odor of jonquils and the frothy odor of hawthorn and plum blossoms and the pale gold odor of kiss-me-at-the-gate” (96-97). This shows that Gatsby lifestyle allows Daisy to be who she is without the money covering her beauty and her freedom without Tom in her way. So like a flower, when the owner is passionate about the flower like Gatsby is for Daisy, the flower is healthy. And in this case, she is beautiful and healthy in personality wise to Gatsby, but a beautiful fool to Tom.

So as the story continue on, Daisy reactions toward other character is like a flower. Gatsby the owner that nurtures her with love, Toms the careless owner that nurtures her with money, and for Jordan and Nick, their the observer that watches over her like every other owners does before it dries up and die. So like a flower, Daisy life is in Gatsby, Tom, Nick, and Jordan’s hand. If they cant keep her healthy and alive, then she’s a petal less flower, but if they can, she remains beautiful as she is.

brina SILVER said...
brina SILVER, Middletown, Indiana
i don't really get why you have an opinion about this but, Keep working at it!!!!!!!!!!!!