Let's Harness the Power of Words | Teen Ink

Let's Harness the Power of Words

January 20, 2017
By E.S.Black GOLD, Multan, Other
E.S.Black GOLD, Multan, Other
10 articles 0 photos 7 comments

WORDS-when the word “WORD” comes to my mind I always recall the definition given by Albus Dumbledore in my favourite book that, they are the most inexhaustible source of magic capable of both; inflicting an injury and remedying it! Yes, words are magical they can make and they can break. We humans are the crown of all creation. We are given the power to speak which no other creature on Earth possesses, but are we using our Gift like we should? Are we comforting our fellows or distressing them…...this is the prime question that we should ask ourselves.


We have the talent to think, to comprehend, to reason and yes of course to speak and to express. We should choose our phrases carefully as they inspire yet they destroy. Do we know that the hundreds and thousands of words we use daily affect the people around us a lot more than we think....? Yes they do. A single untrue sentence, a single ambiguous phrase or a single harsh word can hurt a lot of people. It can cause severe mental distress and depression to our loved ones and we might not even know about it.


We being Muslims have the foremost responsibility to use our words wisely and take care of the feelings of others. Time and again Allah Subhana wa’taallah has commanded us in the Holy Quran to speak the truth, speak kindly, speak politely, speak no lie, speak not in vain, speak gently and speak straight. He orders us that, “Whenever you give your word say the truth.”  Our Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) says that, “Indeed truthfulness leads to righteousness and righteousness to Jannah.”


It is our duty and responsibility to speak only that which we know everything about, which we have proof of and which we have searched about and we have found the complete truth. It is usually our habit   that we change a few words here and there to increase its weightage or to create mischief, but we should honestly ask ourselves that… Is it right? Where will such words lead us ...  Heaven or Hell? The answer to this question is not very difficult. Deep down we all know it. Such actions though, a lot of fun, are not right. Allah ta’allah has asked us to conceal secrets of others so that he may conceal yours. So, if we go on placing wrong accusations and deliver untrue statements, what is our consequence gonna be.


Hazrat Ali (R.A) has said, “Words are under your control until you speak, but you are under their control once you have spoken them.” So, in which position do we want to be: to be the CONTROLLER or to be the CONTROLLED. It is up to us, we should think before we speak because words sow the seeds of success OR failure. Once out of our tongue they can be forgiven but not forgotten. They leave deep imprints and black marks on a relation which was once very strong but a single lie, a single harsh word, a single untrue allegation and the strong building built with love, care and years of companionship starts crumbling in front of our eyes. A wrong word or a lie leads to hundred others and soon we are so deep in a quagmire of lies that it seems impossible to get out of it.... But it is not, start now and see the difference you make.  


The bad words not only include the truths and lies but they also include the words we use to hurt and abuse others, to point out their faults and differences, the words we use to scream and insult. The Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H) said, “A believer is not a fault finder, and is not abusive obscene or coarse.” So are we believers or hypocrites! ….. We do not know how the minds of others work, so give others space to live their lives their way and you’ll soon find that lives will be a lot more enjoyable, happier and healthier for all. In a nutshell, THINK before you speak


T - IS IT TRUE?
H - IS IT HELPFUL?
I - IS IT INSPIRING?
N - IS IT NECESSARY?
K - IS IT KIND?


Following this beautiful rule, you will see that people will come closer and the world will become a better place to live in.


Lastly, loving yourself is common but caring for someone is greatness. You might not remember a small act of care but if might be the brightest moment of someone else’s life!


The author's comments:

I wish the world becomes a better place for us all to live in....