Is Religion Good Or Bad? | Teen Ink

Is Religion Good Or Bad?

By deshawnna123 BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey
deshawnna123 BRONZE, South Orange, New Jersey

Religion is good for the world. Religion can give hope, peace, a sense of something bigger than we are. Religion can unite us like no other system on the face of the earth. However, religion can become wild which causes people to do wicked things when they lose a sense of basic right and wrong. On that same note, it is human nature that brings the worst out of religion not the foundations of religion itself. A world without religion, a world without something to look forward to, is a world that most people wouldn’t want to be apart of” (Debate.org).

Firstly, A lot of people believe that the world would be better off without religion and that religion is the main cause of evil on this planet. For example, on Chabad.org, an anonymous person stated, “Religion is the cause of all wars, and I believe we would be closer to world peace without it. Wouldn't the world be better off if it weren't for religion?” If we were to remove religion from the world it would not bring peace, it would only bring chaos. It would be controversial because for some people religion is essential in their everyday life. Religion helps some people liberate all of the struggles of their life. According to Pew Research Center, about 6.9 billion people or 84% of the world practices a religion. If we were to erase religion from existence those 6.9 billion people would have a very crucial part of their life gone. We would be oppressing the people and we would force all of those people who practice a religion to assimilate Also, the world would be better off without a lot of things that we have today, but that does not mean we should try to get rid of it. For instance, the world would be better off without skin color because everyone would be viewed the same but if the world was like that it would take away part of our uniqueness, it would take away part of you. Just like how your personality makes you, you, so does religion. Your religion plays a significant role in your life. Your religion is what separates you from everyone else. And for this reason, religion is good.

To continue, throughout history there has been many unjust acts and many people think that these events were ‘caused’ because of religion. Ever since events like The Inquisition, which was an organization in the Roman Catholic Church that was responsible for finding and punishing people who did not accept its beliefs and practices, and The Crusades, which was a military expedition that were organized by Western Christians, people have come to the conclusion that all major mass deaths were caused because of religion. According to the article Isn’t Religion to Blame for most of History's killings?, The cause of The Crusades and The Inquisition were not caused by religion. The article states, “ At this time Christianity was in a sad state. Although everyone knew the name of Christ, few if any understood His doctrine... Instead, the Church was solely concerned with outward ceremony and human traditions. For lack of having read the Bible or studied it for themselves, people were misled into believing what others had told them it said - a situation which has ironically become descriptive of today's critics who claim to be the most outraged by the atrocities of those ancient times.”  It wasn’t religions fault, it was the people's fault. Most of these events that people thought were caused because of religion were actually caused because people were misled and taught incorrectly. Religion does not cause violence to happen, religion does the exact opposite. Religion promotes peace and that’s another reason why religion is good for the world.

To conclude, I believe that religion is good for the world  because religion brings peace and helps people through daily life. Without religion the world wouldn’t be the same, it would be a world filled with corruption and dullness.