The Nativity of Jesus | Teen Ink

The Nativity of Jesus

By Daniela.Arteaga SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Daniela.Arteaga SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

Over time the feast that celebrates Christmas has undergone some transformations. It has been moving its emphasis on the manger to more "fun" things that we think about the mode of exchanging gifts? «We mimic, to discover the secret friend? », the contents of the presents? «What is the best for Daniela? » In, the fashionable color for the decoration? «Will ocher ornaments or red apple? » Or, the dishes, that will be the most amazing food and tasty? «Back to pork leg or I'm in for eating turkey or chicken? » All these things though good and inspired by God's gift to the world, must be in the "periphery" of the celebration and not be in any way the reason for our joy.

Many people have lost the true meaning of Christmas. Christmas is not only time to give and receive gifts. To me is time to receive the divine infant in our hearts, but also to forgive ourselves, and to forgive to those who hurt us. We live in a disenchanted world. Most people make list of material things, and so they want this, that, the other and so much more. I’ve learned with the years that the most precious thing, it’s time to spend the most with family, to sing special songs that fill us with nostalgia and sense of gathering, in lieu of eating delectable, and special dishes. Some people go to church, and don’t pay attention; others haven’t even gone to his house in months or years. Some people forgot that the Almighty Lord abandoned the comfort, and the position, perfect fulfillment of the Father's will.

Once when I was younger, I spent Christmas with my father and his wealthy family. I remember vividly that when opening gifts, I was waiting with joy and yearning as any child could have been. I saw everybody getting their presents practically, the ones that I considered the “best” aunts, my favorite ones didn’t gave me anything, but to my cousin John. My eyes were filled with tears. But suddenly the aunt that I never ever expected gave me a gift. She didn’t have money like the rest of her siblings. She game a pajama and some socks, I got what I needed that night. But the most wonderful thing was when she told me she loves me, and gave me a hug, and so she made my night.

I realized that most of the kids that get everything they want become a materialistic person. Like my cousin John did, when he was a child, they pampered him with everything he wanted. But now, he is just a kid that doesn’t know how to behave, that steals because he wants more, someone that curses constantly and so much more atrocities. While I, the one that didn’t got everything I wanted, but what I needed, I learned to be more humble, and to realize what things were more value.

So, you! The one reading this. Are you only going to be thankful with the people that give you presents? But, why not also be thankful to our Almighty Lord, because yet, he has given you the opportunity to see, thus, to appreciate nature, among other things.... Because you can breathe; because you still have a roof to live in; because you have parents or family that it’s waiting for you at home, and because you still have the people that loves you, and that you love.

Now to conclude, let’s let our hearts become a manger, to receive the family of Nazareth. That the reflection of peace and joy that illuminates the Holiday season, light up the hearts through the new year that start. Merry Christmas!