We Are Not God | Teen Ink

We Are Not God

By have_a_heart GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey
have_a_heart GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey

Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need of hell.

What if I told you I was the creator of you? What if I told you that you had to believe in my every opinion or you would be punished by going to a terrible afterlife unless you asked me for forgiveness? What if I told you that you have to set aside an hour of every week to come worship me? What if I told you I was a miracle worker and gave you an extremely large book full of strange stories and mysteries; like a fantasy book of some sort and told you I was responsible for this magic? Chances are, you wouldn't believe me. Chances are you'd question my mental sanity and laugh. But people do this everyday. Without any concrete proof of a God, they allow him to rule their lives.

I understand that people have faith and I do not disrespect that in any way. In fact I admire people who can wholeheartedly devote their lives to something they truly believe in, but has never been truly proven. Religion is great, important, and perfectly fine to practice. Pray in public if you want, carry your bible everywhere if that is what makes you happy, but don't use him to support all of your arguments on political issues.

I'm tired of preparing myself to have an intellectual and intelligent debate on a controversial topic such as gay marriage, or cloning and discovering everyone is just talking about how it is against God's will. First off, how do you know it is against God's will? Has he ever talked back to you when you prayed? Has he ever appeared before you in a vision saying that these things are wrong? Chances are, he has not. All of you are simply attempting to interpret the Bible as best as you can. And what is your proof that the Bible is correct or true? It was written thousands and thousands of years ago, it could have been altered, it could have been translated wrong, it could just be a fictional story that someone wrote to entertain people.

Not everyone is your religion. There are hundreds, even thousands of religions and beliefs all over the world. If political law attempted to coexist with religious law, the government would be a mess. If you want the gay people to understand what is so terrible about their love for another person, you're going to need a more ingenious idea besides God's will. God is not a sufficient reason to change politics. Everyone is entitled to their pursuit of happiness, you are allowed to freely practice your religion, let others freely practice their own version of happiness.

Comment, state your opinion.

1ClassicLady1 SILVER, Mona, Utah

Success is not final and failure is not fatal. The courage to continue is all that matters in the end.
~Winston Churchill

I really agree with you, haveaheart.

I just want to ask, are you religious?

have_a_heart GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey

:)

It was bothering me.

have_a_heart GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey

Thank you.!

You're right though, I do tend to simplify religion.

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

This is a very well written article! I agree that religion should not run politics and I strongly admire your toleration for spiritual people. But I tentatively suggest that your idea of religion negatively simplifies something which is not that simple.

KellyR GOLD said...
KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

That is exactly how I feel!

have_a_heart GOLD, Jackson, New Jersey

Thank you.!:]

S.S.Y.Carlin said...
Great article. I like your writing style, and I completely agree with you. May I make a suggestion: intellectual and intelligent mean pretty much the same thing, so when you use them, it sounds redundant. Other than that, I really liked this piece, especially how you concluded