Women as Catholic Priests | Teen Ink

Women as Catholic Priests

This morning, as I sat on our living room couch reading the newspaper, my mother made a suggestion. "Why don't you become a nun?" she asked absentmindedly, also reading the newspaper. I considered it for a few seconds. Finally, I shrugged it off and responded "I'd rather wait and become a priest."

My mother, a strict and old-school Catholic, promptly called me an arrogant female dog and. She reported that the only women she's ever known that have wanted to become priests were either homeless or butch lesbians. I was also told that the only reason I wanted to become a priest was because I was obsessed with power.

In my opinion, the issue of women becoming priests is not one of power but of equality. Why shouldn't a woman have equal authority in the Catholic Church? Didn't Jesus enforce fair treatment of women in his teachings? It's not the first century anymore. A lot has changed for women in society since then, why shouldn't it change in the Catholic Church?

I've attended Catholic school for over ten years now, and over that short period of time I've seen the attitude of the average Catholic change dramatically. However, this change of attitude will be for nothing if we don't start acting on our opinions and demanding women be allowed to celebrate the Holy Sacrament of the Holy Orders.

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

[i]No matter how much people try to put you down or make you think other things about yourself, the only person you can trust about who you really are is you[/i] -Crusher-P

It's true that religion is sexist and I'm glad people are noticing the flaws in their faith.

JorySpoon said...
JorySpoon, Tripoli, Iowa

"When you strike a woman, you strike a rock.: -Unknown

Girls don't grow up wanting to be daddies because it is biologically impossible, becoming a priest is not biologically impossible. Your argument lacks reason and logic and is full of sexist thinking.

Dragonscribe BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana

"A Person's a Person no Matter how Small"
and
"A Rose by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet"
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

When I said "good deal" I meant "big deal." I hate typos. So, what's it like to be a Wiccan?

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

Well, they can't celebrate mass like priests do. Other than that, I don't see how they have any less freedom than priests - unless you choose to be a cloistered nun (secluded from the outside world) but that's a choice, not a requirement. Lots of nuns do not stay in the convent all day and are out helping the world and having adventures. Although, I must admit, the not celebrating mass thing is a pretty good deal. Who knows why that is the way it is? Honestly, I leave this to God. But it's always good to ask questions.

teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

But priests have more (and I use the word literally) freedom than nuns. And aren't they both dedicated to serving God for their lives? This may sound actually kind of odd coming from me, a 15-year-old Wiccan girl, but I did my research  before posting this comment, and it seems that nuns aren't allowed to do most of the things that priests can do.

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

Well, your mother certainly was very harsh, but I think that only men are called to be priests, I really do. It's not a matter of equality - it's a matter of vocation. Think of it this way: little girls are not encouraged to say, I wanna be a Daddy when I grow up! Boys don't say, When I'm married I'm gonna be a Mommy! It's not because the genders are inequal; they just have varied roles to play. And this is a girl talking, so don't be offended. I, too, fancied the idea of being a priest when I was younger. If you are very set on a path like priesthood, I would actually consider being a nun. It's a good option for you.