How I found Wicca | Teen Ink

How I found Wicca

November 6, 2009
By JasmineHodges SILVER, Texarkana, Arkansas
JasmineHodges SILVER, Texarkana, Arkansas
6 articles 0 photos 17 comments

I found Wicca when I was in the sixth grade. Ever since I was little I liked to watch anything that had witches or magic in it. I thought it was the most amazing thing in the world. I also read anything I could get on the subject with witchcraft and magic. I had a false sense of what Wicca was and I didn’t even know it was a actual religion until I read The Circle of Three series by Isobel Bird it amazed and shocked me that Wicca could be real. So sadly to say I started to search for spells on the internet. I thought spells could make me beautiful. I thought I could cast a spell like on Charmed or Sabrina the Teenage Witch and get what I wanted almost instantly. Good looks, better grades, someone to date, and to punish my enemies. I bet your shaking your head after reading that. Well I’m ashamed for even thinking that. I also was listening to what my family said at the time and they told me that Witchcraft was evil and those people worshipped the devil. So I listened to them and I continued to look up spells. My parents eventually found out what I was doing and told me I was praying to the Devil. The only reason I was Christian was throughout my life I was thought that if you weren’t Christian than you would forever be tormented in Hell with the Devil. So I was hesitant about looking up spells but I thought spells could make me a better person and I could make it up to Jesus later for praying to the Devil for just a little help. I wasn’t selling my soul to the devil I thought. So I checked out books about Wicca and every time my parents would catch me I told them I understood and would stop checking them out. For some reason even though I thought Wicca was evil at the time I couldn’t stop thinking about it and wanting to learn more. After a while I started to doubt my faith in Jesus and the Bible the more I listened to people talk about Christianity the more it felt wrong to me. I didn’t believe that people who weren’t Christian would automatically go to Hell. It just didn’t make sense to me. Also in sixth grade I started to doubt my sexuality. That scared me I thought I would go to Hell for sure. I hated myself for wanting to more about Wicca and I hated myself even more for doubting the religion my parents thought me. I just wanted to go to Heaven but in the back of my mind I still doubted the existence of a Hell let alone a Heaven. I felt that soon or later Jesus was going to punish me for my so called sins. I dint really have anyone to talk to about this. I felt dirty and sinful so I told no one. I checked out various books about Wicca from books about Herbs to books by Silver Raven wolf. I checked them out but rarely ever read them. I was just to scared to. I thought by doing so I was opening myself to the devil. This wasn’t just spells anymore it was the religion to hell. I read bits and pieces from the book but everything I read was proof of Wicca’s evil ways. It wasn’t until 8th grade that I read as much basic information about Wicca that I can from different websites I learned about the Wiccan Rede, The Lord and Lady, the Wiccan wheel of the year, The Threefold Law, and that’s the year I found Witchvox. I read so many essays from Teens that it made me feel like I wasn’t alone. Once I learned the basics of Wicca it felt right to me. I felt at peace. I realized that Wicca wasn’t evil and that it was meant for me to learn more about it. My parents wouldn’t allow that to happen. They told me that I had to go to Church that I was wrong and evil. My older sister even told me that I was going to go to Hell. I told them about Wicca and I told them what it wasn’t I tried telling her that in Wicca the didn’t believe in the Devil and that once you died that you would go to Summerland. Obviously they didn’t want to listen to me, they banned me from the computer and took away The circle of Three Series I checked out from the library. So I gave up Wicca again for a year. Yet during that year I kept thinking constantly about Wicca. I felt lost without it. Eventually I stopped thinking so much about it and I stopped trying to bring it up to my parents. After a while a person gets tired hearing that I was going to Hell and that I was evil and sinful and rebellious. I was tired of hearing that added to the problem that I came out as a Lesbian to them and was refusing to date males. I thought that I had it figured out but I was still so confused I wanted someone to help me learn more. I than decided to join social networks and chat groups for Wiccans. By doing this it made me feel less alone. Than in my ninth grade year my parents decided it would be a good idea to move from Chicago to Texarkana,AR. My older sister Brittany had graduated high school and was in college. So me and my siblings moved to the Bible Belt. Churches was everywhere and I was forced to attend the church and I hated every minute I was there. It seemed like the preacher was pointing out everyone’s flaw and what would be a sure way to Hell. I didn’t like the messages I heard. As I went though High School I tried to fit in by hiding my interest and being or trying to make my parents happy. There was a turning point in my life which I wont talk about in this essay but it made me realized that I wanted to follow the Wiccan path. Now I’ m a Senior in High school and I am trying to graduate. My parents’ and family still don’t accept my faith and wont let me practice it so I have to practice in secret. My parents said I can read about Wicca but not practice it but I will do both. I know Wicca is right form me. I have started a Book of Shadows and I am also going to buy a pentacle necklace on Tuesday. I am proud of being a Wiccan in training and I try to be polite and answer any questions people have when they ask me about my Faith. I will continue to try and learn more about my craft. Well I also would want to figure out my sexuality as well. I consider myself a Gothic Witch but I wont write to much about this, that will be for another essay. I hope this all makes sense of how I found Wicca.


The author's comments:
I am happy I found Wicca.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 79 comments.


on Apr. 13 2010 at 2:56 pm
CoNfUsEd_InSaNiTy BRONZE, Jackson, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything happens for a reason."
-Constance M. Burge (Charmed)

it doesn't matter. you believe what you believe, i believe what i believe... and thats that really....

on Apr. 4 2010 at 9:41 pm
Jkrissy95 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
Leonardo Da Vinci
Iron rusts from disuse, stagnant water loses its purity, and in cold weather becomes frozen, even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

how is God not an example of love and tolerane? ur living. the world is living. he tolerates all the crap going on. nd  he loves us enough to care about us, to give us a message of love through jesus, he loves u enuf to let u live wen he cd end it at any point. our God is a God of love. research nd noe wut ur talkng about b4 u judje

2ndly, humans have freewill. we can do wutever we choose. if you choose to believe in this then do so. i cant stop u, nd telling u off isnt gunna help. jus noe God loves you, he always will no matter wut you do, nd he is always calling out to you, redy and waiting for you to return that call.

>peace nd love 2u!


destinee said...
on Mar. 30 2010 at 12:04 am

I'm not going to commnet on the article so much as the structure.

You're missing paragraphs. It's really difficult to read anything without paragraphs.


paperflowers said...
on Mar. 28 2010 at 6:29 pm
paperflowers, Imaginary, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 176 comments
I don't believe in magic but I believe anything is possible because of God, who answers my prayers all the time. From things like when I was seven and I realized that if I made a birthday wish for a sister nothing would happen so instead I prayed for a sister and nine month later I got a sister, to things like the other day when my mom and I couldn't find her keys so I prayed and then I walked back into a room and they were sitting right there in plain sight on her desk right where we both had been looking.

brie13 GOLD said...
on Mar. 22 2010 at 7:16 pm
brie13 GOLD, Sparks, Nevada
11 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
What is the meaning of life? -- To live ( Mr.Swigart- Bio Teacher)

i'm sorry but i still do not agreeat all with magic. Even if it is not all about evil acording to the bible magic its self is an evil thing even if you don't worchip the devul . Why does magic seem like q good thing to you? i just don't get it ... why someone would want to be a whitch or whatever you call yourself

on Mar. 22 2010 at 9:14 am
CoNfUsEd_InSaNiTy BRONZE, Jackson, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything happens for a reason."
-Constance M. Burge (Charmed)

Wicca isn't about hate, or wevil, itas for the most part, white magick. we don't worship the devil, if you read more about us, like some hard facts, you would know that, we have different gods, and that we focus on white magick, not black magick.

on Mar. 22 2010 at 9:12 am
CoNfUsEd_InSaNiTy BRONZE, Jackson, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything happens for a reason."
-Constance M. Burge (Charmed)

Wicca isn't evil to those who use it properly, we do not worship the devil, or the god of hate like you said, its like there are jesus loving wiccans, I just choose to worship another god. wicca is for the most part, white magick. research about it a bit before you judge. it's not evil.

on Mar. 18 2010 at 11:15 pm
triciaargh BRONZE, Lake City, Tennessee
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
One persons crazy is another's reality- Tim Burton

But they aren't gods of hate, they are gods of love. Besides, the Judeo- Christian god isn't the best example of love or tolerance.

brie13 GOLD said...
on Mar. 9 2010 at 10:24 pm
brie13 GOLD, Sparks, Nevada
11 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
What is the meaning of life? -- To live ( Mr.Swigart- Bio Teacher)

The Christian faith isn't about going to heaven or hell . Im totally on your parents side. I don't get why you seriously would want to do something so terrible when all God is is a God of love and forgivness. I would rather worship a God of love then a god of hate.

on Mar. 5 2010 at 9:40 am
CoNfUsEd_InSaNiTy BRONZE, Jackson, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything happens for a reason."
-Constance M. Burge (Charmed)

well mainly im confused. i don't know what to do.like i have no idea where to get my herbs, or how to start my book of shadows. like and my friends are all like downing me because im wiccan.

on Mar. 4 2010 at 10:21 am
CoNfUsEd_InSaNiTy BRONZE, Jackson, Ohio
1 article 1 photo 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything happens for a reason."
-Constance M. Burge (Charmed)

I am so sorry. I feel the same way. I have to hide my herbs and candles from my family. They think I quit wicca. I could never. I sit in my room and practice when no one's home. Its hard to explain it to my family. I live with my older sister, and she practices it too. but before i moved in with her my parents went crazy when they found out. But its what I believe. They can't tell me to stop anymore. I'm a Freshman in Highschool, and I believe in wicca. but I'm not open about it. I just don't know how to tell my friends. And I really hate it when people compare wicca to the devil. It angers me so much. we should talk sometime. :)

on Feb. 13 2010 at 7:50 pm
JasmineHodges SILVER, Texarkana, Arkansas
6 articles 0 photos 17 comments
I agree. I will try to help you if I can as well.

on Feb. 13 2010 at 7:49 pm
JasmineHodges SILVER, Texarkana, Arkansas
6 articles 0 photos 17 comments
I will try to help

on Feb. 13 2010 at 6:45 pm
earthy_kat GOLD, Sebree, Kentucky
17 articles 1 photo 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
"My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Hazel from the book Watership Down (by Richard Adams).

Twinky, I am very sorry for your situation.But I think that if you are serious about the Wiccan faith,then you should go for it.Your parents have no right to choose your religion for you!And if they try to pull you away,be rational about it and do not give up. That's what I would do.

on Dec. 15 2009 at 12:33 pm
JasmineHodges SILVER, Texarkana, Arkansas
6 articles 0 photos 17 comments
That is ok.

twinky said...
on Dec. 13 2009 at 12:32 pm
srry for my fist comment i was confused idk wat to do srry. well i just truned 14 about a month ago and 1 week ago i ws going around the internet and i foud out about wicca and i got addicted to it... my family is cathalic but i feel that wicca fits me more im more relax wen i studdy wicca.. im thinking of truning into a wiccan but im scared about my family im scared about making a mistake my family wont just take away the internet but will force me to to a preist and "confess my self" and say i acting stupid and i dont know wat to do can u hellp....

twinky said...
on Dec. 13 2009 at 12:26 pm
i dont know wat to rite... srry

on Nov. 17 2009 at 9:54 am
JasmineHodges SILVER, Texarkana, Arkansas
6 articles 0 photos 17 comments
Sorry about that and thanks for the feedback. Yes I have heard of the website witchvox.com. I have account on there and so far I have submitted this esaay to witchvox.com.

on Nov. 17 2009 at 12:51 am
ShaeMusicLover SILVER, Spokane, WA, Washington
7 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Hey your article would be a lot easier to read if you broke it up into paragraphs! other than that I liked it and you have a good message. Also I really think you'd like this website called withvox.com it's sort of an online magazine for wiccans and pagans but the articles are written by regular ppl sort of like on this site.