The Importance of Kindness | Teen Ink

The Importance of Kindness

December 3, 2020
By Anonymous

Kindness is defined as “the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate”; though this definition is spot on, kindness goes far beyond solely being a quality. Kindness can sometimes be life-saving, a great comfort, and amazing quality. The act of being kind shows through and through that a little bit of kindness goes a long way. Additionally, the act of being kind can be one of the most important things that we can carry out, and there have been many events that prove this. 


Sometimes, being kind is as simple as taking the initiative that we have a moral calling to take. The actions of Mother Teresa made her a household name when thinking of a saint, and showed that kindness is so important. Mother Teresa while riding from Calcutta to the Himalayan foothills, had a calling from Christ to aid those in need in the poorest part of Calcutta causing her to leave the home and the convent she knew in order to take the initiative to help those in need. During her missionary journey, she opened many doors to those in need including the sick, underprivileged, and orphaned. Eventually, Mother Teresa was able to internationally extend her efforts to help, and this resulted in many houses of charity internationally regardless of their faith. One may ask: “Why is this significant?”; Well, the kindness of Mother Teresa that she showed to all people regardless of background and faith proves to show how far being kind can go for those who need it. The acts of Mother Teresa were life-changing, saving the lives of many in need. Mother Teresa, through her acts of kindness and unbiased help, inspired the rest of the world that love, compassion, and kindness should be one's leading qualities. 


Though kindness can also offer encouragement to those suffering from mental health as well. Acts of kindness such as saying a simple “thank you” or holding the door for someone, or checking up on them can help save someone’s life. This kind of kindness includes not judging one based on their lifestyle and expressing compassion for the person. Though it may seem indirect, it may truly help someone who is suffering. Overall, being compassionate people whether it be physically or verbally can truly help someone in need. 

In conclusion, kindness is very important in today’s world, especially when factors such as the raging pandemic that is going on in the world, and the heightened amount of youth who struggle mentally. Therefore, being kind and compassionate is so important and every act of kindness is accounted for. So next time you see an issue, consider taking the initiative to extend a helping hand and exhibit kindness whether it be physically or verbally. This mindset can only lead to personal growth and a fulfilled heart that loves and cares for others. Overall, when we show kindness to others, others will reciprocate the same kindness back and over time the world will progress because of the kind acts we do for one another as people first.


The author's comments:

This piece shows that kindness in today's world is specifically important due to the current situation of the world and those around us.