Growing Up | Teen Ink

Growing Up

December 11, 2017
By Stockton BRONZE, Broomfield, Colorado
Stockton BRONZE, Broomfield, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Growing up has been quite easy for me. I have had everything I have needed all throughout my life. Nothing has ever been too much of a struggle. Life has been good growing up. Struggles become harder the older you are, but that is just how society is and you get used to it because it's not really a huge issue, like it just comes to you today. And when you become an adult, everything is on you. You really don’t get much help once you reach that stage. When you are an adult, you have so much more to worry about than when you were ten. Being an adult means you have to take on responsibilities of your own. Like buying a car or an apartment for the first time. I think you know when you are an adult, you have things in life figured out. Like your job, where you are going to live, what you are going to do in life, and stuff like that. There is more to being an adult, but I think that those are the main concepts that most people know when they are an adult. It can be hard to be an adult because you have so much to worry about, but in the end, you get through it and learn everything you need to know along the way. That is how I think about it at least. You don’t need to know much at first, it's all about the learning experience that matters.

 

In Persepolis, Marjane had such a hard time growing up. She thought that she was already an adult at such a young age. She had different standards for adults though. She thought that if she did adult things; like smoking a cigarette, she could be an adult “As for me, I sealed my act of rebellion against my mother’s dictatorship by smoking the cigarette I’d stolen from my uncle two weeks earlier” (Page 117). That is  not necessarily true. If anything it can set you back more into childhood trying to imitate others. Growing up with constant fear of war or getting caught with wine as silly as that is, was definitely scary at this time. At school, she also has the fear that her house can get bombed at any moment, and her neighbors house did get bombed. She doesn’t want to lose anyone close to her or her own life. Along with all of that, where she lives, the economy is really poor. Her family can barely afford the food that they have every day and still have troubles even finding that food. Women are always put below men as well. Iran was a very unstable place to live at the time.


The author's comments:

My teacher "inspired" me to write this article. We were reading Persepolis and his "inspired" us to write a peice on what it meant to grow up and how you know when you are an adult.