A Great Life... | Teen Ink

A Great Life...

March 6, 2009
By GothicCrayons BRONZE, Hudson, Wisconsin
GothicCrayons BRONZE, Hudson, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

I've noticed how unperfect our societies are. I've noticed the skinny-as-hell girls, and the not-so-skinny girls. I've noticed the fashion statements, and the fashion crimes. But does it all truly add up in the end?

One of my friends (Her name will be anonymous, but for now lets call her Betty), sucked in her stomach. She wasn't one of those self-concious girls, But I wouldn't say she was completely content. Her face was dark, as she skulked over her hips.

"Do you think I'm fat?" She asked me, turning to look at me.

I looked up in surprise. "Of course not," I nearly screamed out. I mean, yes she had curves, but they made her what makes her. Unique. Herself, ya know. She had an hourglass figure. And to tell you the truth, I have always been secretly jealous.

Her eyebrows raised up, and wrapped themselves up into a knot.
"Are you sure?" She rasped, as she turned back to the mirror, stomach bare.

"Positive," I said absent-mindedly, texting some guy I barely knew. "I love your curves," I said, snapping the phone shut.

"But..," She said, setting her shirt over her stomach.

"Stop," I said. "Your gorgeous,"

"But, your skinny as a stick. And im just.. not. I wear a size 2. And you wear a size zero. You call that not fat??"

I walked over to her to give her a hug, but she just stared at me.

"What problems do you have, Hannah?" She said.

I stuttered.

"Your beautiful and skinny. You could be a model if you wanted to."

"STOP", I nearly screamed. "I love you. Your not fat!"

With this she sat on the bed. Tears in her eyes. I sat next to her silently.



***



This world is filled with unperfect characters. Not everybody was born "Model", material. Not everybody was born, as a skinny-ass-freak. Not everybody was born, without any implications. When I heard my friend, Who later explained her other self-esteem problems, My problems seemed much less compared to her. She told me shes gonna lose fifteen pounds. I told her, that was a brilliant idea. I almost started to cry when she told me how lucky I was. Not to be "fat." How my dad isn't slowly dying. How my parents dont fight constantly. How I'm not abused, or raped.



Compared to some things out there. Whether it be the smallest thing, like being ugly, fat, or have horribly crooked teeth. Or one of the big things, Like being homeless, blind, sick, or abused.


So next time you complain about those prada shoes your mum wouldn't let you buy. Think again. You have an amazing life. You have loving friends and family. A roof over your head. Life is amazing.


Celebrate it. Help others who's lives aren't enough to celebrate.