Israel vs. America | Teen Ink

Israel vs. America

By Esti Nof BRONZE, Stamford, Connecticut
Esti Nof BRONZE, Stamford, Connecticut

I've been asked this question repeatedly ever since my three older siblings moved to Israel to join the army.
Today, I am faced with the most difficult and important question thus far in my life- To follow my heart and to join Israel and the army, or to stay and pursue my academic goals in the U.S. I am emotionally inclined to one place, but recognize the greater opportunities for me in the other. I am forced to dive into the split sea of my identity as an American-Israeli, and I am...stuck.
I was born in Israel but when we moved to the U.S. I grew up exposed to mostly American influences and am regarded (sometimes mockingly!) as the 'American' of the family. Despite this classification I still consider myself an Israeli. In my life I have been surrounded by Israeli culture and maintained an interest in anything Israel-related.
When my siblings tell me about their happiness in Israel, I can't help but yearn for a similar experience. But immediately, I ask myself: "Is it all worth giving up the American dream? If so, then why am I studying so hard now and striving to reach a competitive college here in America? The answer is simple: because living here in America offers me opportunities found in no other place in the world.
I cannot decide which path is "better," and mentally comparing these two countries only increases my love and loyalty for both.

Writing this piece was very emotional. The issues it explores are still living inside- ready to be solved. An essay question asked me: Who Are You? This was my response.
Thank you.