Teens Don't Need a Curfew | Teen Ink

Teens Don't Need a Curfew

June 5, 2012
By Anonymous

Do you know someone who has a curfew? What would you do if you had a curfew? This would not be a great idea because teens need to at least take a walk and hang out with their friends. Teenagers at age 14 or older should not have curfews because what if they have to do something important. This may help them get out of trouble but what if it was an emergency and they couldn’t go out ? This is why teenagers shouldn’t have a curfew.

First, teenagers need to be let out because they may have things to do after school. They might have to go to a baseball practice or school activities.. Teens might have to go out somewhere and they can’t go out because their parents don’t let them go out. Some teenagers have siblings and they have to pick them at a daycare but they can’t because of their curfew. This happened to me when i joined a softball team. I was coming home after my curfew and I got in trouble. Then I had a conversation with my mom explaining to her that I should not have a curfew and she agreed because being on a softball team was great exercise for me and it gave me a sport to put on my high school transcript.

Secondly, teenagers shouldn’t have a curfew because teenagers need to hang out with their friends and at least go out. Some teens feel stressed and tired being if they are always in their house, they want an opportunity to get out of the house and go out. In my neighborhood almost every teen has a curfew and when they feel like going out, they can’t. Teens can get depressed being home all the time. Teen depression leads to getting poor grades, eating disorders and maybe even suicide.

Thirdly, what if there was an emergency and the teen couldn’t go out? What about if the teen was sick and the parent was at work. The teen can’t do anything because if they leave the house they would get in trouble for it. Teenagers need to make their own decision about their lives and have an opportunity to go out. Also, teenagers need to practice being an adult because when they get older they're not going to be home all the time. They need to practice having their freedom.

In conclusion, teenagers need to have the freedom to go out. Curfews may seem helpful but parents don't really think carefully about it. Parents don’t always think about teens being able to help the family by doing something important after a curfew. Parents don’t feel the way their kids are feeling. If they go in their teens shoes they wouldn’t like the idea of having a curfew. They need to think about what their kids are feeling. Lastly, if teenagers have a curfew and there is an emergency they can’t help because if they get out of the house they would get in trouble for helping. I surveyed my neighborhood and almost all of the teenagers have a curfew. They also have stories of times when having a curfew kept them from helping their families or neighbors. This shows that teenagers shouldn’t have a curfew for those reasons.