What Woul You Do? An Inspirational Bullying Article | Teen Ink

What Woul You Do? An Inspirational Bullying Article

By PocketLovesGir SILVER, Lancester, Pennsylvania
PocketLovesGir SILVER, Lancester, Pennsylvania

Don't steal. The government doesn't like competition.

You see people in the hallways. People you don’t even know. People who you don’t care to know. You see your best friends in the hallways, even your best friends’ friends. You also see the friends of your friends of your best friends.
Would if they just disappeared? Gone, like they weren’t even there. Gone, and no one cared. Not even you.
You’re probably thinking, “I would care. I know I would care.” But would you? Would you if some random kid just up and disappeared that you didn’t even know was there? Would you care if that kid you were picking on a week before just disappeared? Gone.
I know I probably wouldn’t even get the news until someone else told me about it. How long do you think it would take for you to know that someone who went to school with you killed themselves? Or maybe they got shot. Or in the hospital, dying of cancer. Or maybe someone went just a little too far over chat.
Would you truly understand if someone was depressed? Their parents in a divorce? Having a fight with another friend, or anyone for that matter.
And I ask you right now, what would you do, what would you say, if you heard or saw someone acting strange? Not strange like wearing clothes you don’t like or whatever. Strange as in depressed. Cuts, maybe, on their arms. Maybe just sad all the time, sitting alone at lunch, or avoiding you in school and around town.
I understand that right now, in this very moment, you would probably make fun of that someone. Crack a joke or something. But would if you just sat next to them and asked what was wrong, no matter if your friends thought poorly of you for it. No matter if your friends told you that you were stupid or not cool anymore. Just ask. Just ask them what’s wrong. Tell a guidance counselor or a teacher. Go over to their house.
And I know I asked you already, but what would you do if some random person at school disappeared? It could be your bffl or a girl you hate. Could be a “loser”, “geek”, “nerd”, whatever. It even could be someone that was invisible to you or the people around you.
Now look to your left, you right. To the people around you, even if you’re sitting alone in a room, think of people you know, think of all the people you don’t know but could.
What if one or two of the people sitting next to you, right next to you or even across the room, think of the people you know, would if they disappeared? Would if they ran away because they couldn’t take the pestering or their parents, or maybe just that one person picking on them every day. Would if that person died? Would if that unknowable person out there just up and killed themselves because of cyber bullying or kids at school or even someone writing on the bathroom stalls about them?
What would you do? Because it’s possible. It could happen.
Would you say mean things because the leader of your group is? Or would you try to help, like standing up for them?
I know that about half of the people I know would say that they would help and try to help the grieving family or try to help the person who was hurt in the first place, but I know that some of them really don’t think about it because it hasn’t happened. But it could. And I’m thinking that half the people who said they would help, won’t. I know that because they’re trying to “fit in”, they don’t want to seem like a “loser”.
And I know right now that I probable seem like a monster, but would you really help some “stupid kid” if it meant losing your friends? Your boyfriend or girlfriend? Your popularity? Would you do anything that meant trying to bring a lonely kid into meeting friends?
I have another question.
What would you do if some loser, geek, Goth, maybe, an outcast, said hi to you? Would you say hi back? Would you ridicule them? What would you do if that same, invisible person died, disappeared?
What would you do, say, think? What would you give up?
I know that if it was me facing that invisible person, that depressed, sad, angry person, I would give up my friends, my family, maybe even my life, to help or even save them. I’d be as nice as I could be.
I know you all probably hate some people in this world, but do you really know them? If you talk to them right now, without being mean or yelling or fighting, what would you say?
Think. Ask yourself right now why you hate that person and why it started. Maybe, just maybe, you can start a new beginning.
Try being friends with a “loser”. Try out Drama Club, try something new. Go to a party with wizards or maybe you just want to sit at home with your baby sister or big brother or mom and dad and watch a horror movie or a chick flick. Got sit with other people at lunch, sit with other people who aren’t in your group.
Be yourself, be someone you’re usually not. Don’t be mean just because someone is wearing something wrong or you don’t like that person.
Be nice because you can be. Pick something up that someone dropped. Help someone reach a high shelf. Compliment someone on something. Really, be truly nice.
Something little counts a lot.
And I ask you once again, what on earth would you do if something happened to one or two of the people around you?
Would you cry? Would you care? Would you try to help? Change it? What Would You Do?

I just want people to understand how the bullied kids feel. I want people to understand that it is okay to help, to be sad.
I also want people to know that the bullies being punished isnt the biggest deal. I mean, sure, they should be, but i think the bullied, the hurt, the people within the problem are a little bit more important.

towmater said...
blah blah blah

thank you guys sooo much for reading this! i would like to tell you all that im writing a two books that will soon be up. and again, thank you!

VincentD2997 said...
VincentD2997, Parkesburge, Pennsylvania

almost only counts in horse shoes and hand granades

hay i saw that you said no 1 said hi to you so i thought i would say hi

thank you. and hi! just wanted to say that.

thank you for reading this. i hope you can help me in helping the hurt.

thank you for reading this. i know it is long but i feel very strongly about bullying. thank you again.

WritingJulia SILVER, Binghamton, New York

"Kind words can be short and easy to say, but their echoes are truly endless." -Mother Theresa

I'm Sorry :l

missTaco BRONZE, Kingston, Massachusetts

Enjoy Today, because you could die tomorrow

nicely written. im an outcast but no 1 says hi ever....

SecretNonConformist SILVER, Marblehead, Massachusetts

The only thing necessary for the triumph of
evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

"Bless the children, give them triumph, now!"
Aeschylus, The Libation Bearers

Just so you know, I'm glad you wrote this. I try to say hi to at least one "loser" every day so they feel wanted. Hopefully their days are made. This article made me realize that there's more people out there committed to this! It made me very happy.