Government Regulation: To Be or Not to Be? | Teen Ink

Government Regulation: To Be or Not to Be?

July 18, 2010
By PaolaC. PLATINUM, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
PaolaC. PLATINUM, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
21 articles 3 photos 41 comments

Nowadays, age does not stop children from listening or watching inappropriate media, but some rules can.
I am young but not naïve, I understand teenagers can just about research anything they want online, but I do think these rules can help kids before the age of pre-adolescence.
I believe that the laws and regulations enforced by the government and the music industry are necessary. At the movies, every showing is under a category of maturity and music albums are labeled with the advisement of a proper audience group. Believe me, every movie that is rated really means a certain age or above, otherwise no admission.
Television shows and video games are also screened for the protection of young viewers. On occasion, kids may act on what they witness, like the expression says, “Monkey see, monkey do.” In this case the kids are the furry little creatures. Now, you can imagine how dangerous the wrong message of the media can affect impressionable children, if it is a completely new experience for them.

This brings me to the most important part of regulation which is prevention. Government supervision of entertainment is for the protection of uncorrupt youth. Laws set in place stop viewers that are still immature from certain items, like a gory murder scene. Innocence should be protected; I do not believe youth should be wrongfully exposed to drugs or violence and deem it acceptable. All of which are a part of life, but elements that should be first introduced in a responsible manner to a juvenile audience.
Parents should guide children and teach them to make the right decisions for themselves, but that doesn’t mean there is no room for help along the way! As the saying goes, “It takes a village to raise a child.”
And for the kids who do not have positive influences in their lives, some structure can help them decide on their own values and the consequences that they bring.
In my opinion, the government establishing boundaries are important and not to be taken for granted.
So next time you hear slander about “Big Brother controlling our lives” think about both sides of the equation, even if math isn’t your favorite subject.


The author's comments:
An old piece from school that I decided to update using some new ideas.