LOG KYA KAHENGE | Teen Ink

LOG KYA KAHENGE

May 28, 2024
By chaudhary_ali2 BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
chaudhary_ali2 BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

You've probably seen a young child in a public place, completely unbothered as they pick their nose, even though everyone is watching. Despite the clear disapproval from the onlookers, the child doesn’t care at all about the social mistake they are making. This scene illustrates a fundamental aspect of human nature: we aren’t born afraid of what others think of us. As we get older, we become aware of what society expects, and we start to change our behavior and hide our true selves because we’re afraid of being judged.

Judgment is a huge part of society, but it’s not just a reality, it’s actually a necessity. We need judgment because it helps us make decisions throughout the day, from simple choices like who to sit next to the bus to significant ones like who to vote for or even who to marry. Judgment helps keep us safe, protects our hearts, and guides our social interactions.

However, while judgment is essential, it also brings the fear of being judged, which can suppress our creativity and uniqueness. This fear, deeply ingrained in our psyche, reflects in various phobias and anxiety disorders. Findings from the University of Florida reveals that glossophobia, or the fear of public speaking, affects up to 75% of the population. Those with this phobia face severe anxiety at the idea of speaking in front of others. Similarly , scopophobia—the fear of being stared at—can make even simple interactions extremely uncomfortable.

Beyond these specific phobias, the fear of judgment impacts everything from our appearance to our life decisions. Growing up in Pakistan, the phrase “Log Kya Kahenge”, meaning “What will people say?” was a constant reminder of this. This saying is very common in our culture, highlighting the deep worry about what others think that affects many parts of our life. It looks closely at every choice we make, from our appearance and friends to career paths. As someone who has personally struggled with social anxiety, this phrase really shows the huge anxiety about how others see us. This is very limiting, keeping us from joining in on social events and impacting our daily choices. The fear of being judged, both to our face and behind our back, is a heavy burden, showing just how deeply the fear of the public eye.

Research from Seattle Anxiety states that Social Anxiety disorder, which affects more than 15 million American adults, involves intense fear in situations where the person might be judged, such as social gatherings, work settings, or even simple transactions in stores. These individuals often feel like they are being looked at and evaluated constantly, which leads to avoidance of social situations and severe isolation.

This common presence of these fears and anxieties show how deeply judgment affects us. Not only this but it stiples our creativity and infects our creativity and affects our decisions. Fear of being judged doesn’t only impact those anxiety disorders, it touches almost everyone, shaping everyday choices. This fear often leads people to opt for safer, more conventional paths instead of exploring new and innovative ideas. For example, in a workplace people might hold back their best ideas because they are worried about others’ reactions. Creativity thrives in an environment where it’s okay to experiment and learn from mistakes. However, if people are afraid of being judged, they might avoid taking the risks necessary for breakthroughs.

These examples demonstrate that while judgment is a natural and necessary part of human interaction, it’s necessary that we manage it carefully. We must create supportive environments where people feel safe to express themselves and share their ideas without fear of harsh criticism. Encouraging open dialogue and valuing diverse opinions can help lessen the impact of judgment, allowing creativity and innovation to flourish.

As a society, we need to challenge the norm of immediate judgment and foster a culture that appreciates individuality and bravery over conformity. By reducing the fear of judgment, we can encourage more people to step out of their comfort zones, leading to richer, more diverse contributions in every field.

Let’s strive to be more understanding and less judgmental. By doing so, we can help each other live more freely and fully, making our communities stronger and more vibrant. It’s time we shift our focus from “What will people say?” to “how can we help each other grow?” Let’s make this change together.


The author's comments:

As the author, I have a personal connection to this topic through my cultural background and personal experiences. Growing up in Pakistan, I frequently encountered the phrase "Log Kya Kahenge" (What will people say?), which is deeply ingrained in our society. This phrase reflects a significant concern about societal judgment that influences many aspects of life, from personal choices to professional decisions.

Additionally, my own struggle with social anxiety has given me a firsthand understanding of the profound impact that the fear of judgment can have on an individual's life. This personal experience, combined with my cultural insights, allows me to authentically and effectively discuss the broader issue of how societal judgment affects creativity, innovation, and personal expression