Age Is Just A Number, Right? | Teen Ink

Age Is Just A Number, Right?

April 9, 2024
By texanmel BRONZE, Missouri City, Texas
texanmel BRONZE, Missouri City, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A famous verse, often attributed to the book of Proverbs from the Bible, claims “Even fools, keeping silent, are considered wise; if they keep their lips closed, intelligent.” Silence is a deadly weapon. It is common for elders to choose to remain silent in the face of the ignorant incompetence of younger generations. With age comes many new challenges, mainly new trends, stories, and generations. Recent social issues have created a rift between biological males and females, rich and poor, and the young and old. Younger generations claim they are better because they have access to technology, a wider range of physical capabilities, and a youthful and wild romantic personality. Older generations debate this, claiming they are superior because they have experienced more, in all aspects of life, and experience trumps all. All of this begs the question, does age matter? Age is mentioned in several debates: age gap couples, athletic capabilities, and intellectualism. Although some might believe free will is given to all, age matters on a case-by-case basis because everyone has personal limitations regarding love, physical abilities, and intelligence. 

 

Age is a set number in which a person or thing lived and existed that increases annually on the same calendar day. With age, comes judgment. Customarily, individuals are judged by their age, not their abilities. When an unbelievable news story is released, the first words typically pertain to how old they are, followed by a shocking story. Adding age to stories heightens the “wow” factor, and many news media companies use age as an attention-grabber, especially when most do not expect someone of that age to be capable of something so appalling. A split forms when the argument of old vs. new starts. Who is better? While some argue for one or the other, people who are indifferent claim this is no different than arguing over which race is better. There are benefits to being old and young, so it is not a matter of one against the other that should be discussed, but in which situations should an inappropriate application of age be discouraged and barred? 


Long ago, age was typically equated to intelligence. Namely, the older, the smarter. In modern times, intelligence transcends age boundaries. In terms of intelligence, there are many types; musical, emotional, spatial, and general. A mainstream adaptation of the measure of intelligence is through an intelligence quotient, better known as a person’s IQ. An IQ, thought to be a number that makes individuals superior to others, is a standard score that indicates how far above, or how far below, his/her peer group an individual stands in mental ability (Mensa International). Wisdom, knowledge, and intelligence are all intertwined, but arguments rise over which is more valuable. Wisdom is a waiting game, acquired slowly over time, while knowledge is hastily available and quick to serve. A commonly known adage, “with age comes wisdom,” means that wisdom sprouts from experience. It is a fact that a 5-year-old child has not experienced more blood, sweat, or tears than a 98-year-old elder who has lived through World War 2, the Civil Rights Movement, and the Vietnam War. As individuals grow older, they gather wisdom, common knowledge, and basic inferences that can develop more specific hypotheses about how choices could affect the future, and in turn, act on these hypotheses to make the best at-hand decisions (Smith). This wisdom acquired with age manifests in better emotional regulation and interpersonal skills. Older individuals tend to possess a deeper sense of resilience, allowing them to travel through obstacles in life with poise. Simply put, age matters because it is a way to measure wisdom and maturity, which are invaluable in personal and professional environments. Still, age is certainly a way to discourage inappropriate couple pairings. 


The idea that age should dictate romantic relationships undeniably matters, especially when age gaps exist. In thinking about age differences in relationships, heterosexual relationships average an age difference of two to three years, with homosexual relationships averaging just under five years in age difference (Lindner). Relationships where the age difference is more than fifteen years would be a clear outlier. Partners ten to twenty years older or younger can present unique challenges, including power dynamics, life stage challenges, and societal perceptions. Also, age gaps may lead to imbalances in financial independence and life goals, which can strain a relationship over time. The younger participants of a large age gap relationship who would like to have children would be disappointed if their older partner is experiencing menopause or male infertility due to their age. Although some have no shame and do not care what strangers think, an overwhelming stigma and judgment towards such couples can add additional emotional stress to the relationship, affecting the mental well-being of both individuals involved. An example of a couple going through this would be the TikTok (short-form video-sharing service) influencers, 26-year-old Quaran and 63-year-old Cheryl. They were recently featured on a YouTube channel, Jubilee, and given the chance to express hardships in their relationship as well as share that they are “trauma-bonded,” or connected through a traumatic event they both experienced, which is unhealthy for any relationship (Jubilee). Another factor to consider is if age gap couples are monetarily motivated. The common phrase “gold digger” describes someone who dates others solely for material and monetary gain, or in this case, the younger participant leeching off of an older man or woman. While age gaps have been stigmatized in the past, their continued astigmatism is for all the right reasons, protecting older individuals from young scammers and imbalances in financial independence, while protecting younger individuals from childbearing disappointment and the inability to establish generational rapport.


Age is often viewed as a limiting factor in sports, strenuous jobs, and physical abilities. Age can bring wisdom and life experience, but inevitably contributes to a decline in athletic capabilities. As individuals age, physiological changes occur, with the body experiencing a natural decrease in bone density, aerobic capacity, and muscle mass, impacting athletic performance. While older athletes may possess experience and strategic knowledge, they are no match for the physical prowess of the younger generations. Considered the most athletically gifted people in the world, Olympians move down a rung after they reach 30 or so, with some exceptions slipping through the cracks. Overall, male Olympians compete at an average age of 27 with female Olympians peaking at age 26 (Cepar). It is important to recognize that age-related decline in athletic abilities is not true for everybody. With consistent training, proper nutrition, and smart lifestyle choices, individuals can lessen the effects of aging and continue to excel in sports and physical activities well into their later years, like LeBron James or Vince Carter. LeBron James was the first NBA (National Basketball Association) player to achieve the 40,000-point milestone at the ripe age of 39 and Vince Carter continued to keep his job in the NBA until he was 43. Nevertheless, age remains a significant consideration in most athletic pursuits, encouraging those in the sports medicine field to rectify and improve all training methods and recovery strategies, helping each athlete according to their age and physical capabilities.


The side of “age does not matter” plays into more mindful thinking, that knowledge is more sound and foundational than wisdom since knowledge is consistent and wisdom varies from person to person. From a romantic perspective, it is right to say putting age at the forefront of a relationship limits happiness and prevents focus on building a sound, healthy relationship (Millennial Magazine). From a physical standpoint, there are senior citizens globally still participating in the same activities as they used to when they were younger, hence the Senior Olympics, with a vision to promote healthy lifestyles for adults through education, fitness, and sport (NSGA). Also, some with jobs as pilots and construction workers work well past their prime and are still productive in society, working further than the typical retirement age. In terms of mental capacity, virtually anybody can expand their knowledge and experiences through reading and researching certain topics to become well-informed of the facts in certain situations. While it is true that knowledge is accessible to those of any age and some unique individuals excel in various physical activities during their later years, it is important to recognize that age drastically impacts both situations. For years, credible researchers have found physical capabilities and health conditions directly correlate with age, generally influencing performance in activities such as sports or high-dexterity occupations. Also, while dating preferences should not be decided based solely on age, it is undeniable that individuals from different age groups may have different life experiences, priorities, cultural backgrounds, and prejudices that can affect compatibility and understanding in a relationship. Age should not be a determinant of one's abilities or opportunities, but it should remain one of the main factors to consider in many contexts.


Age does matter in various aspects of life, including relationships, mental capacity, and athleticism. While age does not matter in some situations, it plays a decisive role in shaping individuals' experiences, perspectives, and abilities, influencing their communication with others and ability to perform in several disciplines. Acknowledging the depths of age-related dynamics allows a more extensive understanding of its significance in rare situations such as teenage chess prodigies and 100-year-old tattoo artists. Time after time there are cases where age repeatedly defies the odds. The measure of life in recent centuries is based on what you fill your life with, not how long it is. Yet, age matters in political participation, a wider variety of employment opportunities, and natural lessons taught. Age is a numerical stepping stone that shows the scars from the past, and boasts the ability to cherish the present rather than hoping for the future. When you are young, the mind is a brand-new paintbrush filled with dreams and the world is a bright, blank canvas. As people age, naturally, wrinkles form on the face, bones shrink, hair turns gray, and you lose strength and endurance. Yet age bestows a wealth of lessons, with each wrinkle telling a story of triumphs, trials, and unplanned dreams. In the end, life is purely a sweet art. Everyone wants to matter, find the meaning of life, and leave a legacy. Age is a reminder that life is short and time is decreasing, but it does not define a certain amount of creativity, natural skill, or maturity. This leads to a newer question, what is the best age to experience life?

 


Works Cited

“2025 National Senior Games .” National Senior Games Association, 2024, nsga.com/.

Chomik, Rafal, and Michael Jacinto. “Peak Performance Age in Sport.” CEPAR (Center of Excellence in Population Ageing Research), Aug. 2021.

Franicevic, Sunce, director. If Age Gap Couples Were 100% Honest | Split Decision. YouTube, Jubilee Media, 24 Nov. 2023, youtu.be/BpRKCvWxiJw. Accessed 1 Mar. 2024.

Hayda, Hanna. “4 Reasons Age Shouldn’t Matter In A Relationship.” Millennial Magazine, Hanna Hayda, 11 Apr. 2023, millennialmagazine.com/2021/05/26/4-reasons-age-shouldnt-matter-in-a-relationship/.

“Knowledge vs Wisdom: Difference and Comparison.” Diffen, Wiktionary, 2022, www.diffen.com/difference/Knowledge_vs_Wisdom.

Lindner, Jannik. “Age Difference Between Couples Statistics [Fresh Research].” GITNUX, 16 Dec. 2023, gitnux.org/age-difference-between-couples-statistics/#:~:text=Conclusion,age%20gap%20(4.5%20years). 

Smith, Krista. “Researchers Find That Wisdom Really Does Come With Age.” Texas A&M Today, Texas A&M Marketing and Communications, 12 July 2011, today.tamu.edu/2011/07/12/researchers-find-that-wisdom-really-does-come-with-age/. 

“What Is IQ?” What Is IQ? | Mensa International, Mensa International Limited, 2024, www.mensa.org/iq/what-iq#:~:text=IQ%20is%20a%20type%20of,society%2C%20and%20taking%20the%20average.