The Destructive Influence of Social Media on Society | Teen Ink

The Destructive Influence of Social Media on Society

February 26, 2024
By alexlovern5 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
alexlovern5 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
26 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the age of interconnectedness, social media platforms have become an essential part of our daily lives. From keeping in touch with friends and family to accessing news and entertainment, the appeal of social media seems enticing. However, beneath the surface lies a darker reality: the detrimental impact of social media on society.
Accordingly, social media fuels the spread of misinformation and fake news. With the click of a button, false information can reach millions of people, leading to confusion, polarization, and even more harm. The lack of fact-checking and the growth of social media worsen this problem, undermining the credibility of legitimate sources. During the COVID-19 epidemic, for instance, a number of instances involving public health issues resulted from false information shared on social media. We identified disaster, health, and politics as specific domains for a research review on social media misinformation in light of the growing IS research focus on social media and the impact of misinformation during recent events like the COVID-19, Australian Bushfire, and the USA elections. The amount of false information individuals posted on social media doubled and, in some cases, tripled, according to the researchers' startling findings. Their habits had a greater impact on the spread of fake news than other variables, such as their political views and lack of critical thinking skills.
Moreover, social media creates unrealistic beauty standards and promotes a culture of comparison and inadequacy. Platforms like Instagram with drawn up images promote unattainable body ideals, leading to body dysmorphia, low self-esteem, and even eating disorders among many users. The constant need for validation through likes and comments further continues this toxic cycle, creating a culture of mindlessness and insecurity. Our need to maintain relationships with the people we care about drives us to express our opinions and passions, but we also do it to let others know a little bit about ourselves. We feel good about our postings when our friends and followers enjoy them. Our mood improves with more likes and dopamine. Dopamine acts on areas of the brain to give feelings of pleasure, satisfaction and motivation. This is not real, true happiness, it’s a chemical that makes you feel a certain way. True happiness is a feeling. It is an immersive feeling that everything is good inside. This just creates an addiction to social media, to try and be happy, when it’s not real. Most social media influencers choose to portray a “perfect” lifestyle which can cause viewers to question their image and decisions. In reality, their life is not the same as their social media life.
Furthermore, social media addiction is on the rise, with detrimental effects on mental health and well-being. The constant notifications, likes, and shares hijacks our attention, leading to decreased productivity, anxiety, and even depression. Studies have shown a correlation between excessive social media use and feelings of loneliness and isolation, highlighting the conflict of being more connected than ever, but feeling more disconnected from genuine human connection.
Additionally, social media platforms are raising grounds for cyberbullying and online harassment. The privacy provided by the internet gives people the confidence to act in ways they would never think to in real life, which can have devastating effects on mental health and, in the worst situations, even result in suicide. Social media businesses have found it difficult to adequately monitor their platforms, which has left users open to harassment and abuse even in the face of efforts to stop online abuse. Social media businesses do not stop harassment because it is hard to monitor. When not used correctly, social media can become a place of insecurity, comparison, and perfectionism which can be detrimental to mental health.
In conclusion, social media has negative consequences on society that cannot be disregarded, despite its promises of community and connectedness. The negative effects of social media are evident and include the spreading of false information, the maintenance of unattainable beauty standards, and the decline in mental health. As responsible users, we have a responsibility to monitor the consequences of our online actions and to promote the more careful and moral use of social media in order to lessen the negative impacts that it has on society.


The author's comments:

This is an OP-ED piece about the effects of social media on society.