No Offense | Teen Ink

No Offense

January 9, 2024
By Vageesha BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
Vageesha BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun." - Fitzwilliam Darcy, Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)


The title of this article is a phrase used only too often by people; reason being the fear of offending others, which, happens rather easily these days. As a matter of fact, oftentimes people use diplomatic language not because they are actually concerned, but to avoid controversy. Being respectful and caring for people is extremely important, agreed! But should this caution of expression be feigned to such an extent that the freedom of speech is virtually non-existent?
One cannot crack a simple joke, or even describe anything without thinking twice, for you never know when the other person may have their “sentiments hurt”. Taking offence seems to have become something of a fashion statement. By no means must one demean or insult another, and we should be mindful of others’ feelings, and for ourselves too; we can’t let our own dignity get humiliated and hurt. But at the same time, should that dignity be so fragile as to get shattered at a mere touch? Erma Bombeck said, “There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humour and hurt.” We would do well to keep that line in mind.


Paradoxically, everything is so serious nowadays that it is all actually hilarious. People are losing their sense of humour, their ability to chuckle things off, and to laugh their differences away. Humour is nothing but our noticing the funny aspects of life with levity. And how do we define what is funny and what isn’t? In truth, whatever is new to us, whatever appears to make no sense to what we know already, whatever is weird, is considered funny: in short, whatever is different, is ridiculous. Our differences create humour, and make us smile. Contrary to this, the best (and most prudent) option now seems to ignore the differences in people, if there be any. But in my opinion, instead of overlooking our differences, we ought to celebrate them- and true celebration is never bereft of joy, and true joy is never bereft of humour.


In being politically correct, we lose our frankness, our honesty. We will never really say the truth, for our fear of offending someone; neither will we ever really hear the truth, for someone else’s fear of offending us. We will never truly speak what we want to, but we shall always hear what we want to. All of this affects our interpersonal ties in a tremendously negative manner, because relationships thrive on candour and humour.


The idea of criticism vanishes into oblivion. Even when it is constructive, it is met with a hostility equivalent to, if not greater than, that which is deserved by the most heinous insinuations and calumny. Satires evanesce in such a world, because there is no room for anything “so disrespectful”. There is no scope for ameliorative advice, since even the slightest hint in that quarter seems to imply depths of opprobrium to people.


This so-called “progressive” idea of being too sensitive promotes nothing but our regression as an individual and a society. Ideally, jests should be countered with mirth, insults with retaliation, and criticism with acknowledgement. However, offence is not to be entirely forsaken, either; it is important, provided it is taken at the right time and place.


Finally, I wish to asseverate that these thoughts are entirely my own, and the intention of this write-up is merely to express and not impose them. Yet, in this age of political correctness, it is verily probable that my views may come across as highly offensive to people who do not share them. To such worthies I just desire to say (ironically...?) that I meant “no offence”.