Autism isn't always just a difference | Teen Ink

Autism isn't always just a difference

December 1, 2023
By Anonymous

If I hear one more person say "Autism is just a different way to think!" or "The only reason autism is a disorder is because we live in a neurotypical world!" or "It's just part of who you are, it's not a bad thing!" I might explode. The people who say this mean well, of course, but saying things like that is very dismissive of the reality of many people with ASD, myself included. This may be true for some people, but it is not true for everyone. If, for you, autism genuinely doesn't negatively affect you, it's just a different way of thinking, and the main problem it brings for you is that the people around you don't understand you, then that's completely fine and I'm happy for you. However, this isn't the case for everyone. For me, it's a nightmare. It causes sleep problems. I can't wear most clothes, eat most foods, or go to certain places because of the sensory issues. If my family accidentally buys a different type of toothpaste or soap or shampoo, I won't be able to use it. It affects every aspect of my life. To say that it's "just a difference" would be majorly diminishing my struggles and the struggles of many other people on the spectrum. If saying that it's just a different way to think helps you, or you feel that it applies to you, that's great, but autism is a spectrum. You shouldn't act like everyone has the same experience.