Give Your Brain a Break | Teen Ink

Give Your Brain a Break

By JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other
JonBai GOLD, Beijing, Other

"Our reality is narrow, confined, and fleeting. Whatever we think is important right now, in our mundane lives, will no longer be important against a grander sense of time and space..."

- Liu Cixin

"How to Tell If Your Brain Needs a Break"

Pressure – the universal pest that affects students like me worldwide. I’m sure we all know that all-too-familiar feeling of dread as you realize the amount of work waiting for you at your desk after watching too many episodes of your favorite TV show or a gaming session that lasted too long…

The ideal scenario is that we have the infinite stamina to plow through work, but that is simply not the case. So how can you rest your brain or disconnect from all that stress? Well, as the author A.C. Shilton said, “Let Your ‘Little Mind’ Play.” “Play” does not equal to getting on your phone, or playing video games, or watching TikTok videos. Instead, step away from a screen, walk around, get some fresh air, or solve a Rubik's cube!

Last year, I often spent the entire day on a screen. As soon as I open my eyes, I'd immediately unplug my phone, spending the next hour on it while eating and getting ready for school. Then on the bus, I’d finish my homework or browse Reddit, which goes on until bedtime. This vicious cycle would’ve continued… until the day I started getting TERRIBLE migraines. From then on, I vowed to take small breaks throughout the day. Not spending any extra time on a screen has its perks. My efficiency and grades improved. I procrastinated less. And I could “touch the grass.” [VK1] To all the students out there, I must say, that this revolution was life-changing and is much-needed in such a hassle-filled schedule. Bye, for now, pressure.

Your brain needs a break, take it from a high schooler who knows way too much about stress. I know it's hard, but do something away from a screen once in a while, trust me.