Stop Unrealistic Beauty Standards. | Teen Ink

Stop Unrealistic Beauty Standards.

By briannajanie BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut
briannajanie BRONZE, Manchester, Connecticut

20 million women and 10 million men in the United States suffer from an eating disorder at some point in their lives, can you believe that? It doesn’t seem like such a large number, but if you think about it, every person you meet has had this pressure to have a “perfect” body. The perfect body consists of a flat stomach, clear skin, voluminous hair, and being the most attractive person to look at. The beauty industry often perpetuates unrealistic and harmful beauty standards through media and advertising. This can lead to a range of mental health problems such as eating disorders, anxiety, and depression. 

It's important that we promote body positivity and self-love instead of perpetuating these harmful beauty standards. By accepting and loving ourselves, we can create a more positive and inclusive society. National Eating Disorders Association’s article titled, “Body Image and Eating Disorders,” states that 40-60% of elementary school aged girls are concerned about their weight. Not women in their late 20’s or 30’s, but girls starting from just third grade or even younger. This generation has access to all means of the internet, they have cell-phones connected to the social media world, and compare themselves to celebrities constantly. Social media and advertising have set unrealistic beauty standards, leading to a negative impact on mental health. The same article states that over half of teenage girls skip meals, fast, smoke, vomit and take laxatives in order to control their weight. These actions become habits and can develop into low self esteem, social isolation, and even suicidal thoughts. I know it seems like a lot of numbers, but 30% of teen girls since Covid-19 have seriously considered suicide or tried attempting it. Beauty standards have not just started today, but have been a thing for decades on decades. It’s one of the most significant influences to us, and I’m just mentioning females. The standard also goes for anyone and everyone. That is why we need to end this system today, not tomorrow, but it has to end today. 

Beauty standards are not just shown through social media, but even day to day life. You don’t see larger girls or darker girls feeling as confident in stores or in public areas as you see girls who fit this standard. Larger girls have to rely on online fast fashion shopping because their size isn’t available in stores or it’s more expensive, and with what money do you think they are able to afford those clothes? Marielle Elizabeth, a plus size ethical fashion blogger, states, “It is extremely well-documented that fat people are paid less, that they're given less professional opportunities, and so all of those things compound in a way that makes it, in my opinion, much harder for plus-size people to confidently spend the amount of money that ethical fashion costs.” 

Marielle has amassed over 95 thousand followers on Instagram, people look up to her and love the content she creates because she sets aside from other influencers. She shows that larger bodies are beautiful, more than beautiful, like any other body. But that is my point, why do we even have to defend ourselves? Why do we have to look at ourselves in the mirrors and wonder if we’ll be good enough?

It's worth noting that body positivity is not about promoting unhealthy behaviors or disregarding the importance of physical health. Rather, it's about recognizing that everyone is unique and embracing our differences. By promoting body positivity and self-love, we can create a more positive and inclusive society that celebrates all body types. Let's work together to create a world where everyone feels valued and supported, regardless of their appearance.

Works Cited

“Body Image & Eating Disorders.” National Eating Disorders Association, nationaleatingdisorders.org/body-image-eating-disorders. Accessed 7 June 2023.

Hahn, Elizabeth. “The toxicity of beauty standards.” The Catalyst, 15 November 2019, millardwestcatalyst.com/10919/opinion/the-toxicity-of-beauty-standards/. Accessed 7 June 2023.

Muenter, Olivia, et al. “Fast Fashion Is Bad For The Environment. For Many Plus-Size Shoppers, It's The Only Option.” Refinery29, 30 November 2021, refinery29.com/en-us/2021/11/10781654/plus-size-fast-fashion-ethics. Accessed 7 June 2023.

Tanner, Lindsey. “CDC data shows U.S. teen girls 'in crisis' with unprecedented rise in suicidal behavior.” PBS, 13 February 2023, pbs.org/newshour/health/cdc-data-shows-u-s-teen-girls-in-crisis-with-unprecedented-rise-in-suicidal-behavior. Accessed 7 June 2023.

“Unrealistic beauty standards cost U.S. economy billions each year.” Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, 7 October 2022, hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/unrealistic-beauty-standards-cost-u-s-economy-billions-each-year/. Accessed 7 June 2023.

I'm a 17-year-old high school senior, located in Manchester, CT. Growing up I struggled with fitting in, not only because I was the only Bangladeshi girl in my class but I also feel like I don't fit the beauty standard that has been created in my generation. I've always compared myself and never felt pretty enough, the only thing I felt I had going for me was singing. I sing in 3 different languages, Bangla, Hindi, and English, ever since I could remember. Singing is my escape from feeling not good enough. 

I have a youtube channel, "Brianna Biswas"