What The United States Flags Stands For | Teen Ink

What The United States Flags Stands For

The American flag is a symbol of freedom, opportunity, and unity. At a parade on the 4th of July with floats passing by and red, white, and blue catching my eye in every direction. Flags are hanging by the light post throughout the whole city. The sun is shining with no clouds in sight while everyone sets up their lawn chairs out on the side of the road, all of the little kids holding plastic bags not being able to sit still shaking in excitement ready to scoop up all the candy that's about to be thrown at them.

As everyone stands with their hats off and their left hand on their heart, a talented individual begins to sing the “Star Spangled Banner” to pay our respect to America. Everyone cheers in excitement waving their hand held flag around as big floats start driving by decorated in our three famous colors red, white, and blue. Fire trucks with their sirens and red lights flashing followed by different school groups and clubs full of people throwing candy to all the people sitting on the side of the road. Bells and whistles are music to my ears watching everyone smile and laugh, listening to patriotic music on the speakers set up by the pop up stands. A food stand is set up behind our seats selling hot dogs and brats with a huge line full of families that have gathered together for this event.

This is a celebration for everyone to come together and celebrate their freedom as well as thinking closely and appreciating all the people who served our country to protect us.  There are many strong meanings to the flag, and every American respects it a little differently, but for everyone 50 stars and 13 stripes represents home.

The United States Flag represents the United States and has meaning and importance behind it.