The Dilemma of Banning Books from Libraries and an Explanation of the Practice | Teen Ink

The Dilemma of Banning Books from Libraries and an Explanation of the Practice

May 11, 2009
By Nathaniel PLATINUM, Huntsville, Missouri
Nathaniel PLATINUM, Huntsville, Missouri
36 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." --William Shakespeare


A dilemma that has been crossing the nation is the subject of banning books from school
and public libraries. Though in most cases where the practice of banning books from libraries has been executed within the confines of a school library, the miserable act is also known to go in public libraries, as well.

Banning books—and by banning books I mean literature—has been a practice that has seemed to satisfy many, but also enrage an equal number of people. The process of banning literature is as atrocious as it sounds: fine literature is being pulled off the shelves and being discarded into the deep and consuming fires of neglect and ignorance—so that other may not read it or have any sort of access to it. But here’s the thing: in cases of books being banned from school libraries, the ones doing the actual banning are parents who either don’t like a certain book because it conflicts with their religious beliefs, or it offends the parent because it contains something that they or their religion doesn’t believe in—so therefore it seems only logical in their closed minds to ban that certain book and many more books like it.

Clearly, this is wrong.

I, like many others in America believe that a book should not be banned primarily based on one or two people and their beliefs and thoughts on how people should conduct business. This is America, for Gods sake! The land of the free! This is America: land of free speech and press! Those books deserve to be out there because they have a right too!

Also: may bring to your attention that America is the land of free religion, and everyone can believe as they want to believe? But something one must remember when banning books is this: not everyone is this country believes what you believe or thinks what you think.

Therefore, it is only common sense not to ban books. Because, really, if you have something against a certain piece of literature, you can choose not to read it and leave alone—no one is forcing you to read it and give your ever-so-important-opinion about it.

Another thing to mentioned is that banning books can also lead to, and is, in a way, censorship. To illustrate this, I want you take my take my hand so I may take you on a journey. We are traveling back to Nazi Germany in the 1930's—there we shall attend a book burning. “What’s that?” you say. Well, I’ll tell you.

In the 1930's there was a man that was the leader of a socialist/communist organization in Germany called the Nazi’s. His name is Adolf Hitler. When Hitler received the title of Supreme Chancellor in Germany in 1933, one of the first things he did was burn books. Not just him; oh no, under his perverted influence, many misguided sheep burned books. Books penned by outstanding authors like C.S. Lewis, Sigmund Frued, Mark Twain were burned. They—the Nazi’s—even burned religious books like the Bible because it conflicted with their agenda and viewpoint!

My question is for people who ban books is: Shall we too become like the Nazi’s? Shall we too result to uncivilized methods of debating views as to burn books too? If we do, then I say we are no better than hooting Cavemen dancing around a campfire! If we do, then we are simple primates who have shrunk to old and illogical ways.

I believe there is coming a time when such silly and fruitless practices’ as banning books will be at an end. I believe that man will realize that literature is just literature, and should be left alone from criticism! One day people will enjoy literature for what it is: a way of escape from a cruel and unforgiving world.

An escape that triggers the most potent thing a human being has had and will ever have: Imagination.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece as a persuasive essay for Reading class. This subject is really the only issue in which I am very liberal.