The Autism/Asperger's Network | Teen Ink

The Autism/Asperger's Network

By Understandable_Upchuck SILVER, Maryville, Tennessee
Understandable_Upchuck SILVER, Maryville, Tennessee

"Roses are red,
Violets are blue
I was an accident
and so were you."

Autism isn’t a joke. It just isn’t. Then again, letting that phrase come out of my mouth without someone scoffing or choking back a snicker is just about as difficult as saying, “It’s not a phase. It’s a lifestyle, mom.” Without being immediately disregarded.

But who actually thinks autism is a legitimate, relevant issue?

Moving on.

That’s an awkward question.

But why should autism be such an uncomfortable topic?  

Would you believe me if i told you that autism wasn’t an issue? What if I told you that it’s only an issue because people like us make it out to be one?

This is where my chosen organization, The Asperger/Autism Network, is making a difference in our society. Our culture has gotten so accustomed to thinking of Autism and Asperger’s as a disability, something that inhibits an individual’s brain from functioning properly. When a person with a neurotypical mind is told that an individual has Autism, it seems to elicit a reaction of pity, as if that certain someone is beneath them. It isn’t necessarily the Neurotypical’s fault for feeling this way. It’s been heavily engraved in our customs and thought processes. The AANE is making an effort to break these thought patterns, and aid this minority in their attempts to navigate a world that caters to neurotypical people.

As a person who has been tested repeatedly for these supposed ‘disorders,’ I tended to take offense to my parent’s imploritive nature about my condition. I didn’t get why they felt the need to put their time and money into figuring out why I am the way that I am. Was it really that apparent that something was wrong with me?

Maybe so.

As it turns out, I did have a mild Autism Spectrum Disorder up until my freshman year. And then I grew out of it.

“But Sequoia. Autism doesn’t just disappear.”

True. I was evaluated again during my freshman year, and I was below the mark that was required for a diagnosis. Surprisingly enough, I was indifferent to this revelation. I wasn’t enthralled that I had ‘matured out of it,’ as my parents put it. It wasn’t as if my brain had healed itself. There was never anything wrong with it. It had perhaps rewired itself a bit in the process of maturation to fit a more neurotypical thinking pattern. Nothing more. This same situation is true of many individuals.

My story is just one of infinite examples that I could’ve applied. It all leads back to one central idea:

“We’re all human. All of our brains function differently.” The AANE included this statement on their About our Organization tab on their website. The AANE has been able to change the lives of individuals who feel as if they don’t relate to the neurotypical way of thinking, including myself. Just by reading about people’s experiences through their website I was able to feel a sense of being included and connected. Many others have become more involved with the AANE’s services, and therefore provided with more opportunities to better themselves.

Many resources can be utilized at their facility, such as support groups, social events, college/school support, independent living advice, counseling, and employment options. There are few to no limitations on who is able to join this inclusive community.

1. People without an official diagnosis can become a member
2. Friends and family of an individual with Asperger’s/Autism
3. Or people of any age (which i found interesting because usually services like this are only offered to youth)

“Our mission is to work with individuals, families, and professionals to help people with Asperger profiles build meaningful, connected lives in an atmosphere of validation and respect. Additionally, the organization is committed to welcoming all individuals, regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, or gender identification.” All in all, the AANE is working to remind people that everyone is ultimately human. No life can afford to be valued over another. No one should be left behind.