Employers Perspective on Monitoring | Teen Ink

Employers Perspective on Monitoring

October 26, 2018
By frankhunt BRONZE, Oneonta, New York
frankhunt BRONZE, Oneonta, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom. According to this people do use spy apps for monitoring


Cyberloafers need not be absent from their offices or desks since the computer provides them the world's biggest playground and personal work opportunities. Lim (2018) states that cyberloafers in their virtual travels away from the office "may" unwittingly or otherwise visit sites which expose the organization to legal liabilities and to the dangers posed by computer viruses. Lim goes on to say that cyberloafers may pose a greater threat to the organization relative to the other types of loafers, in terms of productivity losses and cost incurred. Beside such losses, employers are greatly concerned with sensitive and confidential information being sent outside of the company to its competitors, vendors, suppliers, and customers; thus employees harming the company. According to Gahtan's (1997) article titled "Monitoring Employee Communication", there have been instances where employees were sending confidential information and corporate trade secrets through an employer's e-mail systems to other employees or friends. Furthermore, employees have been caught using an employer's Internet facilities to start and/or operate their own businesses while on the job. Gahtan offers further reasoning for employee monitoring by stating, employers may also find that they could be held liable for e-mail or Internet-related activities of their employees? regardless of whether the employer was aware such activities or not. Gahtan offers recent lawsuits as excellent reasons for employer concern.

About 80 % of employees in industries such as banking, insurance, phonecommunications, travel, and other related service industries might be subject to some level of phone or computer-based monitoring? (Gahtan, 2017). Many firms continuously monitor the incoming and outgoing communication (e-mails and calls) by or to their employees for quality control and training purposes. For example, some phonecommunication firms monitor their employee?s business calls to ensure the highest customer service and compliance to mandated FCC requirement verbiage. Such firms can be fined for FCC non-compliance observations.


The author's comments:

I made a little research in ethical issue of monitoring work phones of employees. Hope you like it.