Too Much Homework, Too Little Time | Teen Ink

Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

By LAXdoubleK BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado
LAXdoubleK BRONZE, Aurora, Colorado

"I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is:
Try to please everybody."
-Herbert Bayard Swope

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

malkhuthb said...
malkhuthb,
you may be able to bear 4-5 hours of homework a day and 6-7 hours of homework on the weekend but other people cant

galaxyboykid said...
im in an advanced class to and im in middle school and I have 3-4 hours of hw too im reading this for homework right now

ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri

Anything that can be done, can be undone. ~Scarlet City
http://eepurl.com/dcyZMn

Most of the homework I have is time consuming... but not hard. It irritates me because my teacher doesn't assign us homework based on minutes (say, thirty minutes a night) she assigns us in problems. Sometimes a single problem can take up to almost ten minutes!

Nicole1110 SILVER, Indianapolis, Indiana

"People always get used to beauty, though." "I haven't gotten used to you just yet," Augustus Waters

I completely agree! At my school they say 2 hours of homework for each class you have and that means getting no school at all.

evandille said...
evandille, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Homework isn't evil. It is defenitely inconvenient but it is necessary. That is how colleges and employers know what kind of person you are. The better your grades, the more homework you do, which means that they can find out how organized, determined, and a hard worker you are. People need to just stop complaining, because the world doesn't revolve around them. I understand homework sucks, but we have to do what we have to do.

Trench_Coat BRONZE, PERU, Indiana

"Promise me you'll survive.
That you won't give up,
no matter what happens,
no matter how hopeless"- Titanic

I'm not mean.

Trench_Coat BRONZE, PERU, Indiana

"Promise me you'll survive.
That you won't give up,
no matter what happens,
no matter how hopeless"- Titanic

Why don't you go complain to the teachers about homework. When you're in advanced classes you're expected more of. Stop being dramatic. It's annoying. We probably have more homework than YOU!!!!!!!!

Streit said...
Austin I loved your story. You did a great job of describing your setting and characters. This was fun to read!

Qudsia PLATINUM, Aligarh, Other

bravest of you are not those who can defeat a lion but the ones who can defeat anger

do you even know what is stress? Just come to India and see the loads of homework we get along with assignments and co curriculars. you talk of studying till 11 o clock. We have to stay up till 2 or 3 am and struggle. Enjoy your life and kick stress away.

IAceEnglish PLATINUM, Altamonte Springs, Florida

One does not have a claim on one's life, only the right to use it. – Dharma Master Shih Chang Yen

@Homework God She still had an honest opinion

doctorwho said...
i totally agree last night I had so much homework and it was all do the next day so I was up till one in the morning but I didn't even finish it and I just broke down in tears and now I don't want to go to school I need to sleep, and I'm only in 8th grade I don't want to go to high school.

Homework GOD said...
@KittyKat1419, when you are in ur 8, your body feels different and you think you have so much stress when you don't have any at all! Calm down, you're hormones are having the better of you.

Middle School wasn't too bad for me and i was in honors, high school now that my friend I hate :(

SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
I totally agree! Homework is horrible! I'm in 8th grade and have tons of homework per day...people should do something about it! And at the end of the school year. That's the worst, when the teachers try to pile it on top of you when you already just want to go home. It's miserable and if you don't have to deal with it, you're lucky.

CRAZY! HOMEWORK SUCKS MATE

Richcoca PLATINUM, Canoga Park, California

Make as many as mistakes as you want, just don't make the same mistake.

Eric is kind of right. Procrastination probably consists of 25% of the time I'm supposedly doing homework. Here are some tips for those of you struggling: Create a work area for yourself free from distractions (phone, roommates, T.V.), and commit to staying there for a one to two hour period. Recognize that your obligations and resulting stress are as important as other people's needs, and set limits around being interrupted or rescheduling your work time. Break larger tasks, such as papers or projects, into smaller goal steps. Create a schedule for yourself, by doing the following: List all projects, exams, and papers with their due dates.

angeline said...
I like homework it is better than tidying my room.

SonakshiYadav BRONZE, Lucknow, Other

Metaphorically I'm the man, But literally I don't know what I'd do.

*instead of

SonakshiYadav BRONZE, Lucknow, Other

Unfortunately, this is very true. I too have been asking myself the same question lately, is doing all this homework really worth it?! I don't think that it is, but as my grades depend on it, I just can't do anything about this. Schools, instead giving space to students are pressuring them into doing things the way which they think is right.(even if it isn't)

RynKep SILVER said...
RynKep SILVER, Bloomington, Indiana
I am doing a speech on why homework shouldn't have a negative effect on my grades. While doing research I came across your article, and even though my teacher said to avoid the teen rags because it would just be a bunch of teenagers complaining, you sound like you've done your homework. (pun very intended) If you wouldn't mind, could you please share your sources with me to aid in my speech? Please and thank you.