School or Sleep. Why must we choose? | Teen Ink

School or Sleep. Why must we choose?

November 6, 2009
By Urbs2013 BRONZE, Not Listed, New York
Urbs2013 BRONZE, Not Listed, New York
4 articles 2 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things."


In a country that is searching for answers as to why its children are not performing at top capacity, it seems fairly obvious that one of those answers may be found in the time at which they start their school day. For any parent who has looked with pity upon their teenage children as they drag themselves, glassy-eyed, and bedraggled, out of bed at 6 AM each day, there is a way to help. Do some deluging of your own and bombard your school board with well-researched pleas for a later start to the high school day. Not only will our students be healthier and more successful at tasks in school, they will become nicer individuals.

The National Center on Sleep Disorders has published studies explaining that once a child goes through puberty, the body’s circadian rhythm changes. An eight or nine year old is physically capable of falling asleep at 9:00 P.M., but a teen over the age of thirteen has already gone through a circadian rhythm shift, in which the natural hormone Melatonin is not released until later at night, leaving them unable to fall asleep until 11:00 P.M. or 12 A.M. This creates the scenario of teens receiving no more than six to six and a half hours of sleep a night, when research shows that they need a minimum of nine to eleven hours. Combine this with the stress of constant testing, heavy course loads, after school clubs, jobs and research internships and you get a very stressed out, unhealthy young ‘next generation.’ Who can blame them for being cranky?

The following list outlines the key points in the debate for a later school day.

(1)
Weight Gain: When one goes to sleep early, one produces specific chemicals that inhibit weight loss. The body views sleep loss as stress, and stress encourages people to want to eat carbs, like pasta, bread, or potato chips. Sleep deprivation lowers leptin levels (a chemical which indicates body fat and fullness), and raises ghrelin levels (a chemical which induces hunger and reduces satiation levels). The body reacts in this way because it sees sleep loss as a major source of stress. The association between sleep deprivation and obesity seems to be strongest in young-adults. According to the online library system, GALE, several important studies using nationally representative samples suggest that the obesity problem in the United States might have teen sleep loss as a major factor.

(2) Disease: The health detriment to teens is actually quite frightening. A 1999 study










discovered that 11 healthy students who slept only four hours per night for six nights showed insulin and blood sugar levels similar to those of people "on the verge of diabetes." Equally impressive studies demonstrate rise in heart disease and blood pressure in young people who are sleep deprived.

(3)
Better Grades: lack of sleep affects a student’s cognitive state, making it difficult to focus on the details of a class, and adversely affecting memory. Studies have shown that schools who moved their start times from 7:30 A.M. to 8:10 A.M., and especially those schools whose days begin at 9:00 AM, have noticeably better and more alert students. In these schools, 90% of the student populous move up a full grade, and those who are already in the A-range become more energetic and creative. (APA Monitor) Apparently the high level thinking that becomes impaired with sleep loss returns with an extra one and a half to two hours of sleep.

This should not be surprising as numerous studies from medical schools like the University of California at San Diego (2000) have determined that the brains of otherwise healthy teens had to work harder to achieve less when sleep-deprived.

In the year that the new high school schedule was implemented for the schools involved in the above study, teachers found that more of the curriculum was able to be taught in a single period. Even the teachers themselves seemed more involved and animated, according to an anonymous survey. After all, teaching is partially a performance art, and a performer can only be as good as his or her audience. If people in the audience are sleeping, it cuts down on some of the performer’s enthusiasm!

(4)
Sports: Sleep is a natural steroid. It boosts stamina and energy, but best of all, it doesn’t hurt the body like anabolic steroids. The more sleep someone gets, the more likely they are to succeed, and even excel in sports. Imagine what nine hours a night could do for the high school football team?

(5)
Personality: As someone who has personally experienced this debilitating loss of sleep, I can safely say that on the days when I lose a lot of sleep, I am a very grumpy and unapproachable individual.

Parents and teachers say that they want teens to communicate with them, but high school students are communicating on a daily basis: through their anxiety, frustration, constant colds and illness, short tempers, and need for isolation—just to recuperate from battling an exhausting day on six hours of sleep. The Government is so concerned about keeping students in school for more hours—how about allowing teens to begin their school day more rested so they can perform in a more focused, energetic manner? 9:00 A.M. –it’s such a nice round number.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 320 comments.


annabelle said...
on Dec. 2 2009 at 1:57 pm
Yep, there must be a way for us as literate high school students to be able to change minds among our school boards. Who has ideas? Speak up writers!

on Dec. 2 2009 at 1:53 pm
SpaceKing800 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 228 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We especially need imagination in science. It is not all mathematics, nor all logic, but is somewhat beauty and poetry"- Maria Mitchell

Actually, the President have no control over what occurs during school! Surprising fact, I know. For you see, I am in a position for lowering homework by starting a Homework Revolution, so it is imperative I know such a foul idea. The only reason we can't pay attention in Civics class is because we are sleep deprived.... but from what I remember, the state mandates school hours. Let's not just start a sleep revolution or even a homework revolution... let's started a united SCHOOL REVOLUTION!

on Dec. 2 2009 at 1:49 pm
SpaceKing800 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 228 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We especially need imagination in science. It is not all mathematics, nor all logic, but is somewhat beauty and poetry"- Maria Mitchell

You might want to check out petitioning websites, than use a couple of articles to support your point. Teen Ink is not in control of what you want.

on Dec. 2 2009 at 1:47 pm
SpaceKing800 GOLD, Glen Rock, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 228 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We especially need imagination in science. It is not all mathematics, nor all logic, but is somewhat beauty and poetry"- Maria Mitchell

Ah, even though our articles might seem so different, how alike they are! You are arguing about school time, while I am taking action to lessen homework. It's a great article by the way. Let the revolution begin!

Maybe one day you could check out my article?

on Dec. 1 2009 at 7:05 pm
Urbs2013 BRONZE, Not Listed, New York
4 articles 2 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things."

Thank you all for the comments. I say we start this revolution off with a bang.

chocoholic said...
on Dec. 1 2009 at 3:27 pm
The school districts really have to invest more in the health of its kids, and worry less about paying a few thousand extra a year for the busing.

viki10 said...
on Dec. 1 2009 at 9:20 am
Yeah, my school sent a letter out about how much busing would cost if we started our school day later. I think only a 1/2 hour later was doable, and that doesn't make much of a difference when you still have to get up earlier for the bus.

robster said...
on Dec. 1 2009 at 9:14 am
Great article! But how do we make a plea for starting at 9AM when the schools say that it costs them too much money in busing?

soulman13 said...
on Nov. 30 2009 at 10:58 pm
Yeah, I don't know any freshmen who would disagree either. This business of 7:30 AM classes has got to stop.

brandon10 said...
on Nov. 30 2009 at 10:36 pm
What a great article! I don't know a high school junior who would disagree with this one.

hoffstuff said...
on Nov. 30 2009 at 8:33 pm
My school district has been discussing this for the past couple of months, and the students have been petitioning them to make the change to a 9 AM start time. I'm sending in a copy of your article to let them see more research on the question.

goforbroke said...
on Nov. 30 2009 at 2:26 pm
Yep, I'm all for it too. Can we write to Teen Ink and ask them to create a petition for us that will go into print, so that it will make a more powerful statement to our school administrators?

zellchill said...
on Nov. 30 2009 at 2:24 pm
So what are we all going to do to start this revolution for our health and sanity? I'm in, just let me know if there are any petitions to sign.

radioman said...
on Nov. 30 2009 at 9:12 am
It's commendable to see an article that is backed by good research and that even responds to comments with more research. Obviously the author knows what he's talking about.

on Nov. 29 2009 at 12:43 pm
Urbs2013 BRONZE, Not Listed, New York
4 articles 2 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things."

I did a little research to make sure I got the science right here.

One important point to keep in mind is that, in physiology, no single factor causes anything. Leptin is only one molecule in a long signal transduction chain governing the relationship among stress, sleep, and weight gain. The suprachiasmatic nucleus, a small brain structure responsible for keeping the body's "biological clock" running, releases melotonin (a sleep-enhancing molecule) in response to time-indicators called zeitgeists: principally, sunlight. When students go to sleep earlier than their biological clock is programmed to release melotonin, a range of ill effects may ensue: difficulty falling asleep, interrupted sleep patterns, and difficulty awaking refreshed in the morning. All of these factors enhance stress and, thus, may lead to weight gain.

I agree! said...
on Nov. 26 2009 at 9:38 pm
so true!!!!

I agree

rosieal said...
on Nov. 20 2009 at 10:50 am
It's absolutely not a coincidence that when I have a first period math test, I am always making careless mistakes, but when I miss a test and have to take it during a free period later in the day, I score an entire grade higher. It's happened to me already 3 times in the past two years. This article tells the truth.

on Nov. 19 2009 at 2:24 pm
Urbs2013 BRONZE, Not Listed, New York
4 articles 2 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The tao that can be told
is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named
is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
Naming is the origin
of all particular things."

My thoughts exactly Smurf. Its time for a change.

Roslyn5030 said...
on Nov. 19 2009 at 10:54 am
Alec - I am fascinated with your research facts. I concur with all of them being the father of 4 teens. I am confused by your 1st point, however. If sleep deprivation is causally related to obesity, why does going to sleep early also cause obesity? If leptin is released due to stress and lack of sleep, wouldn't going to bed early decrease the amount of leptin?

Smurftastic said...
on Nov. 19 2009 at 8:10 am
You're right, and I agree with the author entirely. This article definitely has the research needed to make a change. LETS START A REVOLUTION!