Pressure | Teen Ink

Pressure

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

It's September; that means it's back-to-school time. Some students are excited, others are nervous, and there are of course a vast majority of students that are just plain depressed. The relaxation and freedom of the summer is refreshing, and who wants to give all that up to sit in a classroom and be assigned a ton of work? Who wants to relinquish their sleeping in and tanning to homework and testing and most of all: pressure.

As an honors and AP student, pressure has played a huge part of my life since, oh, about the 4th grade. I am definitely not a stresser, but I recognize and understand the (ridiculously high) expectations that loom over me. The pressure is that little black raincloud that follows me from AP class to AP class. It's the reason I've been enrolled in 4 APs this year - my junior year. (Who thought that was a good idea?)

I'm definitely sick of it; I would rather be working five days a week like I did all summer than return to grades, hours and hours of homework, testing, and all the negatives of school. I could so easily love school, but this ceaseless pressure can certainly ruin the fun.

Does pressure or stress alter your school experience in any way?

tomgirl.93 GOLD, Sudbury, Massachusetts

"Learn who you are and stand by it."

I say it does too, I get it from everyone as one of the top kids in my grade and I am in SPED and both my parents were number one, and so was my older brother and sister, so now they all look to me to continue. As I say thats to them I should be in a mental ward not school though they look the same, white walls and endless rooms that look the same? You know? 

ReflectionsofYou GOLD, Mason, Tennessee
Yeah, it definatley does. If I have a test on monday[which is when I take all my test] I'll think about it most of the weekend which will ruin it, then I study for a couple hours on sunday night. I has to be sunday or I might not remember the material. It wastes the whole weekend, and I might have four test to get ready for or five. Then I miss out on doing something fun on sunday, and lose sleep saturday night because I actually have nightmares about failling. Pretty weird. So yes, yes, yes it affects me.