Homework? | Teen Ink

Homework?

By cwroblew BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona
cwroblew BRONZE, Peoria, Arizona

Homework is one of the most perplexing and widespread phenomena in human history. It is a riddle wrapped in an enigma, shrouded in mystery, and stuffed into a backpack with crumpled worksheets and forgotten textbooks. We are about to embark on a journey into the heart of darkness, where the fluorescent lights of the classroom flicker ominously, and the specter of unfinished assignments haunts the dreams of children everywhere.

Homework, that perennial pestilence of the schoolyard, has long been held up as a pillar of educational rigor, a noble tradition passed down from generation to generation like some intellectual heirloom. But let us not be fooled by such lofty rhetoric, for beneath the veneer of academic respectability lies a truth so profound, so earth-shattering, that it threatens to shake the very foundations of our educational system: homework is utterly, undeniably, and unequivocally useless.

Now, before you clutch your pearls in horror or reach for the nearest pitchfork to defend the sanctity of homework, allow me to present my case. Picture, if you will, a typical evening in a schoolchild's life. The bell tolls, signaling the end of yet another grueling day of rote memorization and standardized testing. Our young protagonist, let's call him Timmy, trudges wearily home, backpack slung over his shoulder like a yoke of oppression. And what does Timmy find awaiting him upon his return? A veritable mountain of homework, towering ominously over his fragile psyche like the Sword of Damocles.

But fear not, for Timmy is a brave soul, undeterred by the difficult task before him. With a heavy heart and a sigh of resignation, he sets to work, dutifully completing worksheet after worksheet, problem after problem, until the wee hours of the morning. And for what? For the dubious privilege of regurgitating information that he will promptly forget as soon as the test is over. 

But let us remember the age-old argument in favor of homework: it instills discipline, fosters responsibility, and prepares students for the rigors of the real world. To which I say: poppycock! If we seek discipline, there are more constructive ways to cultivate it than by subjecting our children to hours of mind-numbing busywork. As for responsibility, I fail to see how forcing students to complete meaningless assignments against their will fosters anything other than resentment and apathy. As for preparing students for the real world, I have yet to encounter a job that requires the ability to recite the periodic table from memory or solve quadratic equations on the fly.

And what of the toll that homework takes on the mental health of our nation's youth? Study after study has shown that excessive homework is a leading cause of stress, anxiety, and depression among students. Is it any wonder, then, that our schools are facing a mental health crisis of epidemic proportions? It is high time that we end this madness and reclaim our children's right to a childhood free from the tyranny of homework.

Let us not be blinded by tradition or swayed by empty rhetoric. Let us instead heed the clarion call of reason and consign homework to the dustbin of history, where it rightfully belongs. For the sake of our children, the future of education, and the sanity of teachers and parents everywhere, let us rise and declare that homework is useless once and for all.

I am currently attending Arizona State University as a freshman.