Is Teachers Not Teaching, the Real Problem? | Teen Ink

Is Teachers Not Teaching, the Real Problem?

January 18, 2024
By Shivaani_Sri BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
Shivaani_Sri BRONZE, Morris Plains, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You don't always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go and see what happens."
— Mandy Hale


“Oh guys, I finished grading your tests-” A wave of panic floats through the room, as the cold frigid AC air blows over us. Tests one by one plop onto desks and solemn mumbles fill the emptiness. “ I got 50%...I got 70%..” She doesn't even teach us! For real, I would maybe pass if she taught us…" This situation is an all too familiar experience for many middle schoolers across the US;  about teachers not being able to teach them. But, is the real problem the teachers or the students? At the surface level, it seems like the issue is the teachers, but it is not. The real problem is the teachers' ineffective teaching styles, as teaching styles affect a student's ability to learn.

In the world of education, teaching styles are one of the most important things that are often overlooked. Ineffective teaching styles are equivalent to “not teaching”; they can affect a student's ability to learn and understand content. Students blame their teachers for "not being able to teach them”. But, when assessing the situation further it is evident that the problem is the teacher's ineffective teaching style. This results in a negative outcome for students with poor or lower grades. A survey conducted with middle and high school students in New Jersey found that 62.9% of teachers use direct instruction-based learning, but over 60% of the students found this to be ineffective and of the 62.9% of students who had teachers who use direct instruction based learning, only 37.5% of these students, were satisfied with their grades (Survey). This data blatantly shows how, because of certain teaching styles students are unsatisfied and disappointed because they were not able to understand the teacher, as this certain teaching style negatively impacts the students' ability to learn. Additionally, in a credible article "Influence of Teaching Styles on Students' Engagement, Curiosity and Exploration in the Classroom" the text says, "Interaction between students and teachers... contributes to students' learning... perceived learning styles (autonomous - supportive and or controlling ) and it correlates with students' engagement, curiosity and exploration” (Inayat and Ali 1). This evidence makes it clear how teaching styles can affect a student's ability to learn and affect the way students learn and grasp concepts. Further into this article, it highlights an important fact that teachers who are affable and use more interactive teaching methods happen to have students who enjoy the class more and do academically well, but in contrast, students who had teachers who were more lecture-based and less hands-on enjoyed their classless and got lower grades than students who had teachers who used interactive types of teaching styles. (Inayat and Ali 3) .This explains how, teaching styles can have an impact on how a student studies and their grades, consequently, because their attitude towards a class depends on the teacher. Because, if a teacher uses easy-to-grasp teaching styles, tailored to each student, students in that class will care more about their class and work harder in turn giving them good grades. This with clarity validates the fact that a student's ability to learn is affected by a teacher's teaching style. Nevertheless, after many interviews with students in Brooklawn, on the topic of teaching styles affecting students, one specific student's answers stood out; when asked the question “What is your favorite class and why?" They responded with “Personally, I like math the most because I always barely passed math in 6th and 7th grade but this year, I have a teacher who tailors to me individually and can analyze how I solve problems to help me correct my mistakes and to help me understand concepts."  This interview visibly demonstrates, how students who have struggled with certain subjects in the past have improved and started enjoying the subject. Thus, teachers use methods that are tailored to the students' needs more and make the student enjoy their class. When a teacher uses specific teaching styles tailored to a student's specific needs it lets them thrive in that class. This justifies how, because of the hard-to-understand teaching styles, student's ability to learn is drastically affected. 

Most teachers do not realize the impact and ability to affect their students with their teaching style. This results in a negative impact on student's motivation and eagerness to learn, and in the long run affects students' grades. To prevent this, teachers should use more interactive teaching styles according to “The Use of Interactive Methods in the Educational Process of Higher Educational Institution” it states, “Interactive teaching promotes a more engaging environment for students... and studies have shown that more interactive and engaging environments for students have significantly improved students' grades.” (Kumtbiddinova et al. 5). This demonstrates how interactive-based teaching methods can increase grades and motivate students to learn because motivation is a key part of education in any setting. Furthermore,  as the survey mentioned earlier over 62.9% of students come to school for the social aspect (Survey). This data must be an awakening for parents and students across the nation, because if students come to school for socialization, then most students do not come to school with the intention of learning. More likely to not motivate students to learn, but if teachers can motivate students with their teaching styles, students will want to come to learn, and this will help them learn materials faster and easier. In a video, called “Station Rotation: Differentiating Instruction to Reach All Students”, in Highland Charter School in Providence, RL, with their rotational station tailored to each student, every student feels welcomed and excited to learn. They have also seen success with this style of teaching as in 2015, the video claims “Highlanders outperformed in many achievement gap demographics, economically disadvantaged students outperformed, the state by 35%, English language learners outperformed by 110%, students with disabilities outperformed by 192% and in 2016, 11th-grade students outperformed the state in both reading and writing on the PARCC test.” (Edutopia). This evidence makes it clear that there has been a major success with these types of tailored interactive learning activities, where students get to learn at their own pace. This also proves that, with effective and efficient teaching styles, even academically challenged students who are perceived to get lower scores compared to regular students, can outperform their peers, with the correct guidance and correct teaching styles. Ultimately showing us, that teachers can have a significant impact with their teaching styles.

On a final note, teachers’ teaching styles are significantly affecting students' ability to learn drastically. While teachers can not adapt to every student's learning needs, teachers should at least be able to connect with their students and understand their needs. As we approach 2024, it is vital that as educators we ruminate on how teaching styles are affecting students. We must also leave outdated and ineffective teaching styles behind, and begin using more interactive and fun teaching methods. So, when the test gets passed out, the conversation can start to sound more like this;

“I got a 97!”

I got a 100” 

“It’s only because of the memorization strategy Mrs. Ally taught me, that I got such a high grade!”

“She helps me learn….”

 

Works Cited

Inayat, Awaisha, and Amena Zehra Ali. "Influence of Teaching Style on Students' Engagement, Curiosity and Exploration in the Classroom." Journal of Education and Educational Development, June 2020, files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1259918.pdf. Accessed 12 Jan. 2024.

Kutbiddinova, Rimma A., et al. "The Use of Interactive Methods in the Educational Process of the Higher Education Institution." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL & SCIENCE EDUCATION, 29 July 2016, files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1115891.pdf. Accessed 12 Jan. 2024.

"Station Rotation: Differentiating Instruction to Reach All Students." YouTube, 3 Oct. 2017, www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg38A1ggYiE. Accessed 12 Jan. 2024.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece in my 8th grade English class for my argumentative unit.