School Uniforms, a Classic Debate | Teen Ink

School Uniforms, a Classic Debate

January 16, 2024
By ducks4life BRONZE, Cerritos, California
ducks4life BRONZE, Cerritos, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Schools! It’s where we send our young to be nurtured and grow to be functioning members of society. It’s only natural we would want the best schools to harness the best of students. Well I believe that school uniforms would be a standard, much to students’ dismay and distaste. It boosts school funding, improves morale, puts a stop to social profiling and all of which would add to a healthier learning environment. Believe it or not school uniforms are the miracle cure to these problems. School uniforms are helpful in solving a school's funding issues, enhancing a student's self-confidence, and decreasing bullying rates. 


The first, and probably the most well known issue for schools is the shortening of school funding and budget. As most know and understand, public schools get very little money to spend on necessities. In fact, according to the study Closing America’s Education Funding Gaps, (which is based on a comprehensive national cost model developed by leading school finance expert Bruce Baker), “~7,224 school districts in the country face a funding gap.” I stand by the belief that school uniforms can give a boost to school funding. When schools get this newfound money, they could use it for a better projector, desks, or even raises for hard-working faculty & staff. From my personal experience, fundraisers like food-carts or sponsors can’t compare to the money making prowess of a school uniform stand and regulation.   


One of the most iconic school problems in both movies and reality, bullying, can be prevented with school uniforms. Sadly, with school uniforms not being an accessible variable in a schools equation, bullying and problems relating towards it can arise faster than it can be extinguished. For example, if a student and their family are going through an economically challenging period, the student may be jeered by his peers for his clothing. The student may even be excluded in school events by their peers. When in reality, the student is going through a hard time, trying to reduce spending money to help the family. Furthermore, school uniforms are part of general clothing, which means that everyone wears the same thing. Hence, there is no need to be bullied based on economic status or fashion sense. In fact, the site OurFamiyWorld.com conducted a study on a number of schools. One of the many beneficial results is that, “School uniforms are reported at reducing bullying by 30-50%.” Thus, again, proving school uniforms a positive. Additionally, school uniforms can boost a student’s social confidence to make new interactions with peers, learning to foster everlasting relationships with others. According to a study from Oxford Brookes University among year 7 and year 9 students, researchers found students to have reported heightened feelings of anxiety on non-uniform days. 


While some may argue and agree that a school uniform is demoralizing and extracting the individuality of a person. That people should get many different choices as they are unique individuals. Yet one cannot ignore the fact that school uniforms boost school productivity. According to Eric.gov, “Chris Baumann and Hana Krskova found that students wearing school uniforms tended to listen more attentively to their teachers (Baumann and Krskova 2016).” The benefits of school uniforms simply outweigh any negatives presented. As known and acknowledged, having discipline is a key factor to a students growth and development into higher grades.


All in all, as the debate over school uniforms persists, there are many compelling arguments supporting their implementation. As school uniforms promote equality, enhance focus on learning, improve safety, foster school spirit, reduce peer pressure and bullying, and can just simplify morning routines. By considering these benefits, schools can make informed decisions about school uniforms which will prioritize students' well-being, academic success, and overall development. 


The author's comments:

I attend Whitney Gretchen High, a 7-12 school. I chose this magazine because it really speaks to me and my peers.