A Good 'Friend' | Teen Ink

A Good 'Friend'

December 14, 2023
By Anonymous


As I got up to leave the lunchroom I spotted Susie sitting awfully alone. Yet again, she avoided eating the pizza lunchable her mom packed in her lunch box and didn’t  gulp down all of her bottled chocolate milk as usual. I know recently she told us that she felt the need to isolate herself due to Jaidyn breaking up with her because he lost feelings. But, I also knew I could talk to our mutual friend Kaylee. So I headed towards her ocean blue locker to discuss Susie compassionately. 


 “Hey Kaylee, do you think that Susie seems to act differently these past couple of weeks?” Questioned Rachel as she arrived at Kaylee’s locker observing her combing through her lucious dark curls. 


 “Yeah, I'm becoming really worried about her. She doesn’t even go on her daily walks anymore,” worriedly acknowledged Kaylee, while continuing to pull her hair up into a ponytail. 


“I noticed that as well. She appears to not wear her usual colorful outfits,” Rachel agreed, admiring the shininess of Kaylee’s hair. I felt much better knowing that I was not the only one who noticed Susie’s change in spirit.


 “I'm going to go talk to her, Rachal, maybe we can conceive a fun event involving her favorite snacks and drinks,” remarked Kaylee as she zipped her hairbrush up in her blue velour pouch and gently shut the locker door. 


Three class periods later, Susie began approaching me. Normally, she beamed a glowy smile, but this time her eyes glued to the floor and her fingers twiddled her golden brown hair. 


“I can't believe you would say that about me, I do not dress boring and trashy,” fumed Susie with rosy cheeks. 


The author's comments:

Vignette for class