The Real Truth Behind High Achievers | Teen Ink

The Real Truth Behind High Achievers

December 14, 2023
By Anonymous

Not all high achievers are born exceptionally smart nor are most of them currently. A high achievers greatest fear is the look on others faces on their downfall. High achievers don’t even work for their own benefit at a certain point high achievers only work for the approval of others. Being a failure is not an option to them they have to strive to do better than their average each individual time. It’s like a repeating cycle it goes like this wake up, go to school, study, after school practices, go home, study, then finally try to work in some sleep. It’s the never-ending loop.
 
It feels like your childhood ends as soon as you step a singular foot inside grade school. Suddenly everything revolves around your grades and performances. If you get anything below an A and you automatically think you’re a failure the thoughts will pour into your head about what your parents or guardians will think about it. “A B seriously?” “You can do better than a 92%” “This is disappointing” and lastly “You were slacking off, weren’t you?” It feels like no matter what you do or say nothing is ever enough to please them. And when you finally lash out your told your being over dramatic, spoiled, or compared to someone else. But the worst one is when they just loudly laugh in your face because all it tells you is “are you kidding me you have no idea what hard work is, are you even trying at this point, your so over dramatic get over yourself, school is your only priority as a child, you have no say in what happens, the works not that hard get over it, maybe I should up your medication, I don’t care for your mental health.”
 
It drives you to insanity sometimes so much that not even your medication can stop you. You don’t think anyone would care so you just bottle up your emotions even more than you did before and that’s when you start to get violent, so you are punished.
 
Sometimes you think it's just better to end it all and say goodbye to the world of the living, but you hide it from others not wanting to be called dramatic. But when it eventually bursts out your parents are suddenly disappointed and rush to your aid for only the short span of 24 hours, they give you that disappointing look plastered on their face saying that you are a failure. So, you quickly learn to quote “get over yourself” but those thoughts never leave your mind they stay buried in the back of your mind rising back up in the span of every other month or even as shot as every other day. It haunts you to the point if you were never seriously considering it before you definitely were now.
 
You start rebelling, your grades drop, and you suddenly stop caring. Your too scared to ask for help so you hope that people will somehow notice your sudden decline in academics but instead your just called “lazy” it makes you want to scream but your too scared you will be punished for lashing out again.
 
Eventually the school counselor will take a notice but once you tell them it will be relaid back over to your parents or guardians who will just give you that disappointing look once again like they did before. It feels like there’s no escape no matter how many times you try to ask, or signal for help in your own way nothing ever changes. You’re just left to deal with it on your own feeling like no one truly cares for you. It’s devastating, what was all the suffering even for anyways? Just a pice of paper saying that you survived thirteen years of education just to go into debt from collage loans?… I guess we will never know we just have to wait and find out.
 
 
 
(Studies show that 55% of students in the US drop out due to stress and lack of help. And the other 45% of students who stay are extremely pressure to do better than everyone else. In my opinion the 45% of students who stay are strong to withstand all the stress, and comparisons.)


The author's comments:

I purely made this pice based of one of my recent journal entries. I ranted about how my greatest fear of failure was slowly making its way into my only priority. Just as i mentioned in the article it feels like you’re trapped in a never ending loop and you start pushing people away. And it doesn’t get any better if you have a disorder like Dyslexia, or ADHD. So my main goal is to enter the field of phycology some day to maybe help kids going though the same thing I am.