What is the point to participate in contests and competitions? | Teen Ink

What is the point to participate in contests and competitions?

By miaofutianjerry PLATINUM, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
miaofutianjerry PLATINUM, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

I want to talk about competition from the perspective of an Asian child with excellent academic performance.

I am very grateful to my parents for their education because volunteerism and focus on myself have been emphasized. 

As the article says, everything is not a competition. Forcing children to conform to parents' expectations will permanently destroy their vitality. However, letting children voluntarily participate in the contests they are genuinely interested in is an effective way to improve their confidence. My parents, they didn't intervene in my academic interests at all. My parents are always supportive. They believe in me, respect my passion, and allow me to boldly participate in competitions and learn new things, even if success cannot be guaranteed. Encouragement and a healthy competition mentality have boosted my confidence subsequently. 

In addition, my parents have always emphasized that competition is about self-improvement, which coincides with the point in the article. I experienced failures, but my parents always encouraged me not to be discouraged and stopped and told me that I had new gains in the competition process. Failures don't equal that my efforts are in vain. I also have had successful experiences, and my parents always praised my progress. Naturally, I know that the core figure of competition is always myself, not others. Then, the purpose of the competition that it is never to foster jealousy and superiority but to find their own highlights and be proud of them comes to the realization.