Should the government provide a free college education to all? | Teen Ink

Should the government provide a free college education to all?

By jcmaldonado BRONZE, Monterrey, Other
jcmaldonado BRONZE, Monterrey, Other
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

In recent years, the cost of higher education has skyrocketed, making college education an increasingly unaffordable dream for many people. As the importance of a college degree in securing a well-paying job and achieving to have a successful life becomes more important, the issue of access to higher education has taken much importance in public discourse. One proposed solution gaining traction is the idea that the government should provide a free college education for all. The cost of college is rising even faster than inflation in the U.S.; making many students struggle financially when having to pay student loans. This has shown a decline in college attendance, stripping many people of their right to learn, which they can use to help society in later years. There are many reasons why the government should consider providing a cost-free college education system.

First off, improving society. People are better problem-solvers when educated. This means they can progress at a faster rate. Additionally, people with education have more ease when it comes to understanding the history of their society and their current economical situation, making it easier for them to participate in politics and improve their country overall. Secondly, with more educated people, the more employable they are for high-skilled jobs, which could lead to people joining the workforce, and lessen the wealth gap between financial classes. Some countries already offer free college systems. These include Germany, Austria, Finland, the Czech Republic, France, and Spain. Almost all of these countries are in the top 10 best places to study in Europe (According to goabroad.com). This just proves that a government-provided college education system has a better outcome for the next generation.

However, implementing a free college education system will be too expensive for the government. Introducing a free college education system is likely to result in a surge in enrollment as financial barriers are removed. Several countries, such as Germany and Sweden, have created tuition-free higher education systems, and they have experienced a notable increase in student enrollment. The funds required to implement a free college education system would also need to be sourced from existing government budgets or through increased taxation. This would result in opportunity costs, as resources such as healthcare, infrastructure, or social welfare programs may need to be diverted. Balancing the financial needs of various sectors and allocating sufficient resources to education without compromising other areas appears to be a significant challenge.

In conclusion, having the government provide a free college education system, will be a great option for the long term, but will severely affect costs all over the country at the moment. Certain things should be taken into account before making such a big change. For example, the government will need to find out where they will get the money for this investment. Whether it is increased taxation or healthcare, civilians will not be happy about the increase in costs right as the changes happen. However, it is proved that the long term will be worth it for the next generation of civilians