The Cost of Success | Teen Ink

The Cost of Success

February 13, 2023
By yunateenink SILVER, Yorba Linda, California
yunateenink SILVER, Yorba Linda, California
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you walk halfway up the mountain, you'll never see the view."


When it comes to gaining success, how far is too far? Numerous children worldwide face the disheartening reality of poverty and economic disadvantages. Even at such a young age, children prove to recognize these social-class discriminations and take it upon themselves to be the best of the best by spending their golden childhood studying away. KIPP Academy, known for its preparation and education for underprivileged children, exemplifies an opportunity that allows students to choose between two important factors of their lives: success and social life. In this academy, students spend hours striving for a better life and working for the chance to leave poverty. With that being said, is it truly worth the effort and sacrifice? Despite the potentially increased rate of achievement, children should not choose success over their social life because the alternative paths to success and the irreplaceable memories of their childhood are far more valuable and wiser options for their future. 

There is no joy in being in a repetitive cycle of a never-ending walk to success, and there are alternative ways to achieve the same goal. Success does not solely rely on degrees or education. Of course, degrees or education help with success, but they do not have complete dependence on them. Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk - All of these businessmen have something in common besides being wealthy: They all dropped out of college before they received their degrees. Determination, perseverance, and a bit of encouragement helped these men succeed. Not a single degree in sight yet they own some of the most successful companies in the world. Gates, Zuckerberg, and Musk left college because of their passion for their companies; they wanted to pursue their dreams outside of the educational system. Similarly, several influential actors and actresses never acquired professional training or went to college to receive acting classes. To name one, Leonardo DiCaprio is a high school dropout. Such an iconic and superior figure in the film industry, Leonardo DiCaprio demonstrates that one does not need formal training to achieve success. Once again, a passion encouraged DiCaprio on pursuing and auditioning for films, which led to the accomplishments he has gained today. College isn’t necessary when an individual has passion and luck. Given these points, there are living proofs that twelve-year-olds don’t have to self-sacrifice their youth working like thirty-year-olds when there are different, possibly easier, ways to succeed.

Equally important, happiness is life. It’s the motivation for many, including these children from KIPP. These students work very hard to secure that happiness by earning a stable future for both themselves and their families. Regardless of their intentions, everyone only gets one childhood to create sentimental memories and life-long experiences. KIPP students don’t have to sacrifice their past and present for their future. To put it another way, the win won’t be worth the loss. Important to realize, character development relies heavily on childhood experiences. Experiences stick and stay impactful until adulthood and beyond. There is a reason why individuals only learn how to ride a bike once. Someone could avoid riding a bike for a decade, yet when he/she rides it again, he/she is not learning but simply remembering what he/she has learned years ago. It has been proven in psychology that child development occurs as early as twelve months and is especially important around the age of five. Habits and personality will not change easily, especially when they are taught at a young age. Children from KIPP may not cherish their childhood and pick up unhealthy mindsets if all of their young memories are filled with sleepless nights and piles of homework. Correspondingly, childhood memories are precious, simple as that. Taught in AP psychology, the olfactory neuron is a neuron in the nose that is connected to the brain. This neuron sends signals to certain parts of the brain - associated with storing memory and emotions - which explains the vivid memory and powerful emotions that individuals sometimes experience when they smell a specific smell. That being said, when students do not have specific scents stored in their brains of priceless childhood memories, they won’t be able to feel that heartwarming feeling of youth. Indeed, KIPP students can still create their childhood memories while also attending school, but the majority of the memories will be filled with studying and homework. Ultimately, childhood is too short and early to worry about the possible future. Not to mention, purely enjoying one’s childhood will produce priceless stories for generations to come. 

All in all, following other methods to success and making unrepeatable memories in childhood are healthier habits for kids rather than solving math problems at midnight. Choosing social life over success does not guarantee failure, it just illustrates a different approach to achieving success. When it comes to gaining success, the limit is how far the individual wishes to go.