Teach life skills in school | Teen Ink

Teach life skills in school

Students are going into middle and high school without the necessary executive functioning skills. While most come out of these grades having learned them on their own during their time in school, some students need a little extra help.
When you plan your day, transition from one thing to another, remember what you went to the store for, plan what you are eating tomorrow, use your experiences to make good decisions, or turn in assignments on time, you are using executive functioning skills. This toolbox of many life skills is with us from the moment adults wake up to the moment adults go to bed. Executive function is important and teachers must share it in schools.

Web MD explains that executive function includes these skills:
multitasking
Organizing schedules
Transitioning
not doing or saying wrong things
Recalling details
Focusing
Using experience to make good decisions
Managing time

It is important for kids to know this going into adult life to know these skills, so that they can maintain a job, raise a family, and put food on their table.
Some students are taught lessons on executive function, while others are not taught at all.
In one of this student’s classes, sometimes the lesson for the day is about executive function. But, teachers are less talking about the systems to put in place for individual students, instead, they give out worksheets and state the obvious.
The best way to help with executive function is, according to a student, NOT full lessons in executive function. In an interview, a middle school student shared their opinion and point of view. Students stated that it would be better to have one-on-one time with teachers to work on executive function. They pointed out that every student is different, and that not every strategy will work for everyone; so discussing these skills in a group setting would defeat the purpose. The student said that instead of passing out worksheets, it would be more helpful to have time in class to set up systems, and a teacher to hold them accountable. If students are saying this would be the most helpful way to teach executive function, teachers should listen.
If schools don't teach the next generation of lawyers, doctors, engineers, teachers, food workers, and many, many, other necessary jobs, executive functioning skills, our society could collapse under the enormous pile of late work and people who can’t manage any amount of time. Schools need to teach children and prepare them for the future. Teachers, administrators, committees, the state and federal government, anyone who can help change our school systems. You too. If you and other people can get these curricula changed, our children can grow up to be the hard-working, happy, helpful, and beautiful future.

Works Cited:

PhD, Johanna Calderon. “Executive Function in Children: Why It Matters and How to Help.” Harvard Health, 16 Dec. 2020, www.health.harvard.edu/blog/executive-function-in-children-why-it-matters-and-how-to-help-2020121621583. Accessed 15 Apr. 2022.

Goodman, Brenda. “Executive Function and Executive Function Disorder.” WebMD, WebMD, 13 Apr. 2012, www.webmd.com/add-adhd/executive-function. Accessed 4 Apr. 2022.

Adria is a student who loves drawing, coding, animating, reading, sewing, and arial dance. She uses She/Her pronouns.