Is college worth your while | Teen Ink

Is college worth your while

October 28, 2021
By HenSardine BRONZE, Fillmore, New York
HenSardine BRONZE, Fillmore, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

    Have you ever wondered, is college really worth my time? Does it really help you as much as people say or is it just a waste of time and money? In most situations there are completely legit reasons to go to college. But in some cases I would agree that college is a complete waste of time and money.

    When you want to go to college you have to decide what college you want to go to and what you want to major in. These things depend on a person's interests and their level of education. Some people are really smart and are interested in how things are built so they major in architecture. Other people however have a lower level of education and are interested in how things are built so they learn trade. Now both of these jobs are good jobs but if you're thinking about college with these examples I would recommend you don’t go to college to learn trade. If you want to learn trade I would suggest starting an apprenticeship. Going to college for trade is not the best idea because you don’t learn that much and you have to pay a lot of money. But an apprenticeship would teach even more than a college would and sometimes you even get paid. So think about your options here. Do you want to go to college and pay a lot of money, and then not learn that much or do you want to learn a lot and get paid. I don’t know about you but if it were me I would want to start an apprenticeship. 

    Learning trade is one thing but architecture is a lot harder to learn. Architecture requires you to truly understand what you're doing. If you don’t know what you're doing then you might try and build something that doesn’t even stand up on its own and  it comes crashing down on a lot of people. It  requires you to truly have a good understanding of math and it is also a good thing to be creative. But most of the things you need to know about architecture come from college. You're not just going to learn it doing an apprenticeship. You need to go to college and learn the specific stuff. 

    As you can tell from these two examples, college is really good for some situations. It can really help you learn the things you're supposed to learn.  But there are other situations where college seems to be a huge waste. You spend tons of money and you are in debt for a long time and depending on the job you might come out of college and still not know what you're doing. So before you jump into college make sure you really think about it. Make sure you don’t spend thousands of dollars on something that is not really worth your while. Make sure your education is worth it.