Frustration and lack of motivation are the aspects of the new, normal life for high school students in our world pandemic | Teen Ink

Frustration and lack of motivation are the aspects of the new, normal life for high school students in our world pandemic

November 19, 2020
By Anonymous

Severe lockdown restrictions have been put into place due to a significant increase in coronavirus cases across Victoria. This developed difficulties, typically towards us students, as we were attempting remote learning for the first time. Our lack of experience with online learning introduced an intense feeling of stress, which aggravated our struggle to grapple on to any incentives.

Drastic changes were put into place to defeat the novel coronavirus. One of these changes included the shift from face to face learning to remote learning, resulting in students lacking social interaction. This had the ability to destroy teenagers’ mental health and disrupt our healthy wellbeing. Covid-19 has had a detrimental impact on many students. A survey revealed that 7 out of 10 teens reported mental health struggles. 61% stated that they were experiencing an increase in feelings of loneliness. 44% said that they were beginning to encounter depression, along with 55% experiencing anxiety.

It seems to go unaware by teachers of how we are wrestling hardship with online learning as we are placed under hefty pressure. This results in losing motivation, due to the amount of workload that is being pushed upon us to complete within an unreasonable amount of time. Parents had been interviewed regarding to their child/s remote learning experience. 68% indicated that they were concerned about the amount and quality of work their child had been provided with. At least half of the parents interviewed felt there were unrealistic expectations placed on them and lacked direction on how they could further assist their child/children.

As students begin to phase out of their usual schooling daily routine, some have taken the chance to skip meetings or leave their meetings running and procced to do other things. This is possibly due to the fact that they feel like what is being discussed is pointless or just have no interest in what they have to learn about. Only 15% of high school secondary teachers reported that their students always attend online classes at designated times.  

A Highvale Secondary College student stated, “I don’t seem to be learning because I am constantly struggling to turn my assignments in on time.” Another student contributed to that thought by stating, “My focus always goes out to those assignments, leaving no time to worry about other work I have to complete during class.”

The contribution to lack of motivation includes either too much work or the state of being overwhelmed. No enjoyment of school activities are usually due to feelings of fatigue, lack of motivation, procrastination/avoidance, and ineffective time management.

However, the lack of positive feelings can possibly be altered and improved somehow by ensuring we commit to an everyday routine. “A routine will create a sense of structure and foster the need to be present and control daily functions,” neuroscience senior, Katya Karnoup states. Ensuring that we stick to a good routine will enable room for wellbeing improvement, but the excessive workload that we are required to complete still does not help with the difficulties we face.

We all shouldn’t have to feel stressed with the fact of not knowing what is going on in school. Repeating similar activities during class and throughout our remote learning experience has contributed to a lack of interest in the subjects we take part in. How would you feel if you were doing the same thing every day?

We should feel encouraged, look forward to attending school, not dreading it.


The author's comments:

This article is in regards to school students attempting remote learning for the first time due to coronavirus, whilst under lockdown. It discusses possible issues faced and how they felt, in relation to mental health as well as their overall experience.