How to Achieve Straight A´s | Teen Ink

How to Achieve Straight A´s

By Fbeeck SILVER, Earling, Iowa
Fbeeck SILVER, Earling, Iowa

¨We´ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.¨ -Sirius Black

Straight A´s have been a priority for millions of students across the globe, but most don’t know how to get them. Several methods are frowned upon like cheating or plagiarizing, but all you must do is be active in your classes, study hard, learn time management, and stay healthy. These steps are the easiest way to get the job done without obsessing over your classes and wearing yourself out. It might be hard to work towards, but it can be rewarding, and you will feel accomplished afterward.  
This first step should be a given, you should always be involved in your classes by taking notes while answering and asking questions. Take your notes on white or colored flashcards, your computer, or even just plain notebook paper. Taking fewer notes is better for studying, but you want to make sure you are not leaving anything important out. You should highlight important words and phrases, so you know later while you're studying that this is going to be on your test. If your notes are not helping you understand the subject at hand, draw pictures or diagrams. During class answer questions your teachers ask and don’t be afraid to ask questions when you don’t understand something. You need to remember that your teachers are there to help you learn not to watch you fail. If your teachers offer bonus points, earn them. It could be doing more homework, a side project, or even winning a game in class. These points will help raise your score in the class and help prepare you for a test or quiz. With homework, put all your effort into them, and if you need to use outside sources like dictionaries and family to help you finish them. Do not save your homework for the last minute and cram. You make the most mistakes when you´re rushed and don’t check for all your mistakes.  
With all these notes that you collected from class, you are going to want to study them for the big test that is coming with them. Don’t cram the day before a test or quiz, make time for study periods. An efficient study time would be studying for twenty-five minutes and taking a break for five. If you have a hard time with timing, there is a website called MarinaraTimer.com that you can create your own study timer with cool sound effects and modes. Several apps are made to help students' study like Quizlet, Kahoot, and SparkNotes. Quizlet is an app that allows you to have digital flashcards and uses your terms in fun learning games.  Kahoot is like the TV show Jeopardy. It is a website that multiple people can play at a time. It asks you the question, and you and your classmates try to answer the question as fast as you can for points. At the end of each session, there is a first, second, and third-place podium. SparkNotes is a place where you can find study guides based on the material you are learning about. The study guides are another way to double-check you are ready for a test 
Because you must find a way to add your study time into your already busy schedule, you should learn how to apply time management to your everyday life.  Make sure you manage your time, so you are not overwhelmed with all your activities and forget your homework or studying. Some good ways to track your homework and activities are having a planner or calendar. When writing in your tracker of choice, make sure you remember to put in after-school activities, jobs, studying time, and family activities. You can differentiate the different categories by coloring them with highlighters, pens, or crayons. A fun way to personalize or make you more ¨connected¨ to your calendar/planner is to draw little doodles for each month and add important birthdays and holidays. If you don’t like carrying around extra things, there are apps on your phone and computer that you can use like Google Calendar or even your notes on your phone.  
School and your busy schedule can really create stress and can even make some students insomniacs that are dependent on caffeine to make it through their days. Stress and tiredness do not help you in school, so you want to make sure you exercise, sleep, and eat healthy to help you make it through each day without wanting to claw your hair out. Exercise can offer quiet time to help you think and helps you to stay healthy. You don’t have to have a P90X kind of workout for it to count. You could take a run, do simple warmups, or even go swimming at a local pool. Make sure to exercise at least three times a week for thirty to forty minutes. Sleep helps your brain function, so you want at least eight hours minimum. Set an alarm to start your bedtime regimen and go to bed at the same time every night to allow your body to know when to sleep. Turn off all electronics and make sure your room is nice and dark. Eating healthy provides your brain with nutrients to help keep you going. It is also a way to learn how to cook for yourself or even your entire family. Eating breakfast is crucial for your brain to start in the morning, so eat something healthy like eggs and bacon or fruit. Mental health is also a very important factor in staying healthy. You want to stay calm about schoolwork, so you don’t have anxiety or give up. You should take time to relax throughout the day by doing calming activities like reading, listening to music, to even meditating.  
After these simple steps, you will be able to accomplish a perfect report card and impress your teachers with how you have grown. Showing your teachers that you put effort into their classes can make them more willing to send in recommendations for jobs and even for college. You can even be rewarded with different scholarships and honors from your school. With perfect A´s your parents could get you that one thing you’ve been asking for decades because you’ve shown your responsible enough to have it. By being active in class, studying, learning time management, and staying healthy you will achieve straight A´s.