Attempt on Conflict | Teen Ink

Attempt on Conflict

November 4, 2019
By Anonymous


He had walked into the room, dreading the inevitable. He had no idea what could happen during his first 504 meetings. He went to go sit down next to the chair next to to the counselor. He looks down looking up every once in awhile, trying to hide his emotions. He didn’t want anybody to detect his true feelings.

The counselor started talking about accommodations he could use throughout the year. Everyone was nodding their heads, agreeing to each one. Each request felt like it attacked him. He felt like he didn’t need accommodations. He wanted to prove that he can be like everyone else. He wanted to prove that he was good enough. He wanted to tell them that he didn’t need the accommodations. He felt like his lips were locked and can only be unlocked when they ask him a question. He felt like his decisions were being made for him, hurting his pride.

By now, his opinion and feelings were not clear. It was hard to say what he really wanted, his true opinion and feelings. Hearing all of the adults talk dominated over him, making his opinions feel irrelevant. Even though he wanted to voice his opinion to not have any accommodations. Deep down he knew, that it would help. Deep down he knew that he needed them for the future.


The author's comments:

In this set-piece, I was attempting internal conflict. I want to convey the powerless that he felt when the adults were in the room. I like that he wants to voice his opinions, emotionally, it hurts his pride, but really needs accommodations.