Why We Shouldn't Have Homework | Teen Ink

Why We Shouldn't Have Homework

By TorWarn04 BRONZE, Lincoln, Nebraska
TorWarn04 BRONZE, Lincoln, Nebraska

Do, or do not, there is no try.

-Yoda

Have you ever had a mountain of homework on your table, but not able to finish it all? I have. So, in this paper, I am writing about weather you should, or shouldn’t have homework. I believe homework should be banned because it causes health issues, stress, and no sleep. Here’s why.

Number One - It Causes Health Issues

On the Stanford Children's Health website, it says, “...health problems ranged from . . . headaches, exhaustion, sleep deprivation, weight loss and stomach problems. . . ” In other words, when you are supposed to learn, the next school day, you learn even less, because what they made you do, made you sick.

Number Two - You Don’t get Enough Free Time or Sleep.

In the Sleep Foundation website, it quotes, “Just one in five adolescents get an optimal nine hours of sleep on school nights; nearly one-half (45%) sleep less than eight hours on school nights.” So that means that sometimes, they have to expect you to not do as good, because you didn't sleep.

Number Three - It Causes Stress

On TeenInk.com, they say, “[they] interview multiple students and many of them talk about having nervous breakdowns or being very stressed; some even talked about getting depressed because of all the homework in school, [and] depression can even lead to suicide.” That is the last reason, and I believe it is a very good one. I mean depression and suicide? They really risk you killing yourself because of homework? It’s just dumb.

I mean, yes, homework teaches you somethings, but you normally forget it by the next day. Again, the Cons outweigh the Pros.

So here’s a recap. I said I believe homework should be banned because it causes health issues, stress, and no sleep, and we talked about how the Pros are still outweighed by the cons. And those are the reasons Homework shouldn’t exist.