American Flag | Teen Ink

American Flag

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America…” this pledge to me, is symbolic to the American Flag. When I see the American Flag, I think of pride, justice, freedom, and the American dream. To me, the bright white stars on the flag mean pride people have. When a student receives a star from a teacher, the student is full of pride and is happy. I think that the dark blue background around the stars means justice. All the blue lakes and river connecting states together, it feels right, we are all one. Seeing the colors red and white strips on the Flag, I think, means freedom. The red strips mean the blood shed from the soldiers that fought in wars and are still fighting for America. The white strips mean the cleanliness of the nation. I think that the whole Flag represents the American dream, which is having pride, justice, and freedom combined.

According to http://www.usa-flag-site.org/history.shtml, the stripes represent the original 13 colonies; the stars represent the 50 states of the Union. The colors of the flag; red represents hardiness and boldness, white represents purity and innocence and blue represents watchfulness, perseverance and justice. President Washington, shown on http://www.usacitylink.com/usa/history-of-the-flag/, said “We take the stars from Heaven, the red from our mother country, separating it by white stripes, thus showing that we have separated from her, and the white stripes shall go down to posterity representing Liberty” this is what the Flag symbols.

Truly, the American Flag is important to the American Dream and people of America. It is an iconic symbol to America, you see it many places, such as churches, schools, sporting events, homes, and military places. I, as well as other I know have so much pride when seeing the flag. All of the colors of the flag have meaning to them. The colors of the American Flag, to me, may mean something totally different to you; but all the colors make up the American flag. "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America…”

I wrote this my 11th grade year in American History.