Bad Ad | Teen Ink

Bad Ad

By Jordyn Craft SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Jordyn Craft SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

This ad was created by Calvin Klein to help sell their cologne Euphoria Men. The ad was found in the June 2013 issue of People magazine. This ad targets an audience of young adult and middle aged white males because of the model pictured in the ad. The main focus of this ad is a close up picture of a man. The man is young looking, no older than 26. Men, ages 20-35, are drawn to this ad because the model pictured looks about their age. The model pictured is white. The product advertised retails for $58 at most vendors. The cost of the product is another hint that the product is aimed for males of the age 20-35 because they will most likely have a job and be able to afford this cologne. The product also targets white men because Calvin Klein only uses white men in their advertisements.
The ad is a close up picture of a male model. His face takes up most of the ad but it is also visible that his chin is rested on his shoulder. In the bottom right hand corner of the ad, there is a picture of a light pink bottle of the cologne. The words “euphoria men Calvin Klein” appear just to the left of the fragrance bottle. In the upper left hand corner of the ad, it says “calvinkleinbeauty” and “Ulta” below to suggest vendors that sell this particular product.
Even though the picture is focused on the face, the viewer can still tell that the man is shirtless. This is observable because the man has his arms crossed and his chin rested on his shoulder. The man has perfect skin complexion. He has a freshly shaved face and nicely pampered eyebrows. His hair is combed and gelled back. There is not a trace of gray in his hair.
However, this ad fails to provide important information about the product. For instance, the retail price of the cologne is nowhere on the ad. Also, the ingredients in the cologne are not present either. The ad does not give an insight or idea of what the cologne smells like. This ad fails to provide a free sample in the magazine like other fragrance companies do to give a sense of how the product smells.
This ad is using a symbolism of sexuality to help persuade buyers. They are showing an attractive, shirtless man that has nothing to do with the fragrance. The ad also uses a symbolism of card stacking. Card stacking is used because the ad only gives an insight of the product. It gives the name, what the product looks like, and where you can buy it but no other details. Lastly, this ad portrays the symbolism of charisma. Charisma is portrayed by the ad focusing on a male that presents himself as strong and confident. This could attract people to the ad because they may think that they too can appear strong and confident if they use the cologne.
The message this ad promotes is that this cologne does more than cover up body odor. It suggests that if used, it could make a man seem, stronger, handsomer, and more desirable. It also sends a message that this product should only be used by wealthier, younger, white males.
Due to the message this ad promotes, it could offend buyers. It could offend people by making them feel that they aren’t good looking enough to posses this product. It could also give buyers a false hope that by buying and using this product, they will become more admirable, attractive, and manly. Also, people that are not of the white race could be offended that they shouldn’t be able to posses this product because they aren't white.